View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 12:09 AM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Y'all know it's Utrom Empire!
Spoiler:
Which gets a little bit sadder with every drastic change in the Utrom hierarchy (the scene of Krang collapsing in the stasis chamber being particularly sad now), but also shows how different Krang was before everything happened. While he seems to have had more of a death wish - which came at the most ironic of situations in his life, he had space for a little logic and a lot more willingness to change himself if need be. He very had a different persona until he was left on his own and I like to think that isolation got into his head.

One thing I like quite a bit is how Krang himself is rarely shown in present-day scenes, being concealed by his suit and even hidden at some points. I'm not sure if it was a deliberate choice or not, but I like to think that it is.

I'm not too keen on some of the designs of the Utroms. With the exception of Quanin, something seems really off about their proportions and it always looks like Krang is going to tip over sideways because of how top-heavy he is against his legs. And where do all their organs fit?

Most of all...gotta love Krang telling his father that they won the D'hoonib war while smashed on whatever booze he was drinking .

And the Obligado minis.
Spoiler:
I like what they reveal about the Mirage Utroms...until the ball was dropped...and I look forward to how Andrew puts it back in court.

I like the introduction of the Preservi - who do not deserve the reputation they have. Maybe Myst IV spoiled me a little bit, but I don't see much of a problem with memory preservation, especially when it means comforting the dying by giving them access to things they can't remember or have forgotten.
The Obscura were a great inclusion too, and really could have been awesome to learn more about.

Obligado is just great on his own. He's more of a non-bitter William Hartnell Doctor than an "Indiana Jones" to me. And the fact that he'd drop everything and go on an adventure just because some kid asked a really enlightening question is a pretty big indicator of his overall personality. I think he would have been birds of a feather with Donatello had they been able to meet.

I'm bothered a little bit by the suggestion that Utroms have at least a little bit of hair - as shown by the sand flea infestation. But, up against the implication in Obligado's memory that they probably nurse as babies, that's probably the least confusing thing. Where do they have the space by that design?

I'm not exclusive to Utrom stories, surprisingly.
I do like the Hob-Leatherhead story in TMNT Universe as a single story.

Spoiler:
Especially as a companion to #65 in its drastic tonal shift while it's happening at the same time, and the examination on how while the two are very, very much the same, their philosophies in life are so drastic that they can't be truly comrades, even if Hob wanted it. Especially in that period of vulnerability that he had.

Let's be honest though, that probably wasn't the best environment for Hob to try to make nice with Leatherhead. It would be more ideal to catch him at a slightly more subdued time and swap life stories. THEN try to reel in that very, very, very big fish.

Still can't bring myself to repeat-read Hob's mini though.
I almost cried the last time.

Donatello's micro of meeting Harold is another favorite.
Spoiler:
Sure, they were internet "enemies", but the sheer feelings of connecting with people you know online (though it was an accident in this case) is something I know pretty well, and it's a pretty amazing experience. So I associate with Donatello quite a bit in that situation.