View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 07:19 PM   #64
AquaParade
Banned

If you’re fan-casting in Wizard Magazine, I guess. The only thing they ever got right was Patrick Stewart as Charles Xavier, who just happened to be bald and a great fit for the character.

Otherwise, casting based on appearance is a recipe for a crap movie. You can play around in the costume and makeup phase, if it’s fitting, but you don’t make someone’s physical appearance a priority unless you have to.
Instead, you cast the best actor, who understands the character and the material. They won’t necessarily have the same skin color as the fictional character they are portraying.

Like, imagine you have two actors audition for the James Gordon role, and you cast the one with the right skin color over the one with the superior acting ability - that’s dumb if you’re trying to make the best movie possible.

Would it be nice to have the best actor, who also resembles the “correct” skin color? Sure, I guess. Still seems pretty trivial to me, in terms of being told a good story.

If a character is strongly informed by their skin color, like Abe Lincoln, yes that matters. Most comic book characters? Not really.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-05-2022 at 07:33 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote