View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm waiting until I finish eating dinner to open it. I like to savor these things.

One day him and Vintage Battle Cat are gonna go massacre a bunch of orcs, and then go pick daisies or some sh*t. It's gonna be f*cking glorious.

EDIT: So Ace is pretty cool, with a big asterisk (which I assume is gonna apply to all of the beasts in this series).

Feels kinda "cheap" at first, as it's just a lightweight hard-plastic thing with zero articulation, but like everything else with these series, it's pretty much identical to the original Battle Cat. It even has a very similar removable armored helmet and saddle. The interior packaging artwork can make a nice little diorama background scene when removed from the box, if you take the plastic bubble off.

The BIG problem is... the saddle and body are a little bit too wide to comfortably seat these figures, given their crummy socket-jointed hips. The legs don't really rotate out wide enough, and many of these figures have a manufacturing defect that makes the left leg pop off and on rather easily, so it's really not worth trying to force them into the saddle. Most of the figures can still be posed there and stay put, but they're kind of awkwardly straddling the saddle rather than sitting on it, like they're "trick-riding". Regular He-Man figures (along with any other 5.5-inch figures that have the "rubber band" legs instead of the socket joint) fit reasonably better.

Kind of a bummer. Since all the DC "Primal Age" figures so far have the socket joint hips, I figure none of them will properly sit on the Beasts to ride them, and that's pretty annoying, although they do look cool posed beside the figures. You'd think they would have done a little bit more testing on that to make sure they'd match properly.

I'll still pick the others up, but I can't help but think that even at "just" $20, they're a bit overpriced, considering they can't perform their one and only "job" and otherwise are just hollow plastic statues. The figures are about $12; I know that these kinds of things are generally more expensive than figures in ANY line, but I feel like $15 would be more fair. They're twice the size of the figures, but they don't "do" anything so the price seems a bit inflated.

Whether the Beasts are worth it to you or not pretty much depends on how much you like the sculpts. They do look good.

I've heard very good things about the Batcave playset, so I'm definitely going to have to pick that up when I get the chance. It's such a blatant Grayskull rip that it's not even funny.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 03-21-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote