View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 01:31 PM   #73
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Ok, Europe and Latinamerica and the midwest, so that's a good chunk of the world then.

Again I'm not saying Star Trek isn't big, or people don't know what star trek is. I asked in what way Star Trek was bigger than TMNT. Pop culture and worldwide recognition? More people recognize the name Ninja Turtles, I'd definitely argue that, it's been more than 30 years, the kids who grew up with it all know what it is and the original parents who bought it for their kids in the 90s also know, that's a huge chunk of the population.

Profitability? I don't have numbers but with the cashcow that TMNT is and all the licensing deals it gets I don't see how it's any more.

And I was asking a question, I don't think it is but i've never been into trek and i've never really met people in real life besides one nerd in HS about it. I've lived in 3 different countries, and talked to geeks all the time and only have met trekkies online. Power Rangers has had shows and movies since it came out, that doesn't mean it's a huge brand, it's big and has been bigger the last few years now that it's finally nostalgic cool to like power rangers.
Here's a.... we will say quick and crude "google data" comparison. We could go MBA-deep on this but I'm not that vested in this topic. But here goes:

I.P.'s On T.V.
Star Trek = 7 Shows Since 1966 | I'm fairly confident all of them aired on primetime T.V. slots
TMNT = 5 Shows Since 1987 | I'm fairly confident that either none or one of them aired on primtime T.V. slots

I.P.'s On Film
Star Trek = 13 Theatrical Films | $2,266,907,732 Franchise Worldwide
TMNT = 6 Theatrical Films | $1,149,359,568 Franchise Worldwide

Now just from the heuristics involved here, these numbers speak quite a bit. Also note that Star Trek had comic book publication going as far back as Gold Key and spanned I think at least 4 different publishers. TMNT was an obscure publication nearly all the way through it's Mirage days.

The toy sales thing would be interesting. Without even looking it up, I'd imagine that Playmates TMNT outsold Playmates Trek, but right there you've got some comparison of sales from Playmates alone. Trek has had several action figure/toy lines and has a huge "high end collector" presence - I'd argue much greater than TMNT's.

You are using a metric of "word of mouth" recognition; but I mean.... I've never seen a TMNT-centered convention/show. Never. Trek is present everywhere and has a myriad of it's own convention gatherings worldwide.

I think the only place that TMNT has probably ever beat Trek would be specifically on sales of Playmates toys, of which quite frankly TMNT probably deserves the win there. Somebody inclined to argue or to try to look clever might observe something like "well Trek had twice as many movies and by the numbers if TMNT had 6 more movies it would surpass Trek at the Box Office." But see - that's just it - Trek has had 13 movies most which were born of the 80's and 90's. TMNT had three movies born of the 80's and 90's. Trek is simply the bigger franchise, no caveats. Someone could argue that Trek is "only bigger because it came first", which... doesn't matter, it's still bigger.

Also, I have no real stake in this. So replies building an argument against this as if I've woven an attack on TMNT? Please just go and do that idiot-savant $#!( somewhere else. Any other replies in discussion, absolutely invited.

Last edited by IMJ; 08-03-2021 at 01:40 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote