View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 07:51 PM   #779
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Mattel owns She-Ra and Hordak and everything along with it. They just don't own the rights to the Filmation show and the versions of the characters as they appear there. It's complicated since DreamWorks owns the Filmation library but Mattel still owns the characters and can use SOME version of them in various projects.

She-Ra herself is considered a bit more of a problem since she wasn't created or marketed under the "Masters of the Universe" brand and thus is considered a separate license, so getting her to appear in various projects is more paperwork and red tape. Whereas Hordak and Co. WERE created under the MOTU branding and so have fewer obstacles regarding their use in other projects.

Short answer: They can use Hordak in anything they want, just not Hordak as he appeared in Filmation unless they clear it (as they recently did for the "Origins" line). They can technically use She-Ra too, but again, not Filmation She-Ra, and they also have more hoops to jump through in adding her. This is why her Origins action figure was based off of her original toy design and not the more familiar cartoon design.

As to whether She-Ra will show up in this series, should it continue... I doubt it, but stranger things have happened. You know people will expect it so I wouldn't be altogether shocked.
---------------------
That's... Rather complicated and I have some trouble wrapping my head around it.
Some key questions here:
  1. What does it mean to "use the characters as they appear there" exactly? Like are they barred from making an explicit sequel to those cartoons? Or are they barred from using certain ideas that originated in those cartoons? Or does it mean something else entirely?
  2. Taking a look at the original She-Ra toy package, I can indeed see it's labelled as "Princess of Power" rather than "Masters of the Universe". I'm still a little confused here though, is it because it was officially a different toyline that it is considered a different license or were the characters created by Filmation rather than Mattel?
  3. What exactly is going on between Dreamworks and Mattel, what is one allowed to do without the other and to what extent do they collaborate? Is Dreamworks allowed to do whatever they want with She-Ra or do they need Mattel's permission? Is Mattel allowed to make a She-Ra cartoon if it's nothing like the Filmation one? Hordak was in the 2018 She-Ra show, so is it a shared rights thing going on?

Part of the reason I'm confused is that it's generally not this complicated. Fred Wolf owns the rights to his TMNT show but clearly just the show itself, Hasbro bought all the rights to their Marvel collaborations and most DC cartoons are made by other branches of Time Warner meaning no fuzzy copyright crap at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Anyways, watched the whole series A-to-Z. Wow, that was f*cking METAL. Really liked it a lot. Lots of DC callbacks (which were all done in their own way but definitely DC-inspired), that was neat. BLADE!

Splitting it in half was a dumb decision that directly fed into all the whining. So much of what people didn't like about the first half was explained/"justified" in the second half, as I'd expected. People have no patience anymore. As a whole it's very good.

I don't count it as a "Filmation Sequel" and I think if you stop trying to force it to be one a lot of its "issues" go right out the window. To me it's just one more MOTU universe in a vast Multiverse of MOTU timelines. Really enjoyed it! Nothing really that I feel like being too specific about. I liked pretty much all of it.
It was less annoying than part 1 and had some cool action scenes, yes. Though I wouldn't exactly say it was anywhere near free from problems, Teela just kind of deciding she can leave the castle despite being the Sorceress title previously barring one from doing so was one of the things I just don't get.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote