View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 09:42 PM   #100
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Hmm, I don't see how that is clear. Different types of games always come and go for franchises like this. Could have said the same about Spider-Man before Insomniac took the reins. Same with Batman before Arkham.
This is a cheaper way to dip their foot back in. If there is a lot of interest, they'll want to at least look at the possibility of a bigger gamble and bigger return. More of the same makes sense too, but I see no reason to count anything else out.
TMNT isn't 1/10th as big as Batman and Spider-Man. The market won't support more than one TMNT game at a time and no developer is going to allocate the resources to more than one game at a time, either.

The last "real" TMNT game came out over 5 years ago, and we haven't heard a single peep about another one since then. There's no interest. MiM was more than good enough, but people said it was crap anyway even though it wasn't, so nobody's going to bother trying to make another "real" game anytime soon. What's the point? A lot of time, money and effort went into MiM only for it to under-perform under a ton of what was honestly really bad criticism.

Shortsighted and myopic people crowed loudly for five years, "All we want or will accept is another Turtles In Time type of game, so just give us that", and the Powers-That-Be finally listened. Those types of games are much easier (and cheaper) to produce and there's very little risk involved; walk left-to-right, bash bad guys, repeat for 8 or 10 levels, and people will dogpile each other to play it.

And that's perfectly fine. But it also leaves them NO reason to even try to develop a "real" game anytime in the near future. "Out of the Shadows" and "Mutants In Manhattan" were both reasonably good games, but after all the money and work that went into producing them only for the fans to puke them back out, you can put money down that nobody else is gonna even attempt such an endeavor anytime soon.

And why would they? They can spend a fraction of the budget on something like this and they already know it's going to be a huge hit. Thus, if it makes a huge splash, that doesn't mean anything for the future of TMNT games other than "This works, let's just keep doing this."

The entire video game industry is in a "No Risk/Big Reward" mindset and has been for years now. To expect anything different is kind of silly. Especially for a "dead" brand that's only being kept alive through people's collective nostalgia for 30+ years ago.

If I'm wrong and someone does make a "real" TMNT game within the next decade, then great. But they won't. I promise you that nobody in any position of power is even discussing that as a hypothetical.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote