View Single Post
Old 05-26-2021, 06:29 PM   #2338
Leo656
The Franchise

Got a Big Important Piece for the collection today: The "Classic Suit" variant of long-haired Superman from the Mattel "DC Universe Classics" line!

I've been after this one for a LONG time, and I finally remembered to pick it up. Got it for a reasonable price, too, all things considered.

Easily one of my favorite Superman figures of all time, and I have to give credit to Mattel for not only representing this look but doing so in spectacular fashion. This is technically a variant, as the Black Recovery Suit version was the primary figure for this wave, but I don't think this one was really any harder or easier to find. But they did a great job with it, especially the longer hair which can be tricky to get "right". There's only been a handful of long-haired Superman figures - I think just the Kenner "Man of Steel Collection" figures, the "Total Justice" figure, the DC Direct "Recovery Suit" version, and this one - but I think this one and the DC Direct one were the only ones to really get it right.

If I have any nitpicks at all, it's that Superman began wearing a much larger cape during this era so this one is too narrow to be a truly authentic representation. But it's good enough. I just think the cape they used on the Superman from the previous "DC SuperHeroes" line would have been a lot more accurate, so long as it was molded in the same shade of red as this one and not the weird burgundy color that figure had. Regardless, still one of my favorite Superman figures in my rather extensive collection.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote