View Single Post
Old 11-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #1369
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmate View Post
Hello Mr Curnow;
May I please clarify the issue that you're presently short on letters for is #64...due to hit the stands in just under a week?
(Or have I misunderstood, and fans have a more probable shot of being published in Dec #65?)
Thanks in advance fot the clarity
No, this is for January's #66. #65 is already out the door.

Some things that will sometimes nix a potential letter:

-Lots of talking about how long someone has been a TMNT fan. I see this all the time, paragraphs and paragraphs of this, often talking about the Fred Wolf cartoon or the movies, or dressing up and playing TMNT as kids. I totally get why this is a popular thing to write about, people want to share their enthusiasm for the property, especially if it is deep rooted. And that's cool, I enjoy reading it. But I think it would be boring to read in Ninja Notes after a couple times. I'll usually edit this section down if I see it paired with a good question or something interesting, but if that's pretty much all the letter is, I'll probably cut it.

-This happens very rarely, but someone just being a dick about an artist. It's rare, but when it happens it's almost always "this guy sucks, bring back X". Pretty much all of the artists on the series I consider friends at this point, and I'm not going to print something that's mean to them, especially if there's no rationale or constructive criticism behind it (and there almost never is). I am much more likely to print negative things about the writing, as i'm directly involved in that and I know Tom has a thick skin. But again, if someone is just being negative and not constructive, then probably not. Though I have done that, in #64 in fact I think.

-Vague guesses as to what is going to happen in the book. If they happen to nail it, then not much point in printing that ahead of time. If it's a wrong guess, that's not too interesting either. If it happens to be a correct guess that has already happened in between the time of writing and the time of letter printing, maybe... but it's not much fun to read a letter of someone guessing what has already happened either!

-There's a couple people who write in almost once a month, often with good questions, but I want to spread the wealth around, so will sometimes skip letters from them.

So yeah: questions about the process of comic book creating, opinions on events or characters, hopes for where you'd like to see things go or a change of tone... that's all good stuff that increases your chances of being included.

In the first couple of years we had more letters than we knew what to do with so if you wrote then, could be there just wasn't space.

All letters are appreciated, and do know that I personally read ALL of them!

Since yesterday I've received good letters from people with the initials DS and OS, they are getting printed!
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote