View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #3283
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
A few more, if you have time Bobby:

I recently began a re-read of the series. I?m finally collecting the hardcovers so I can catch up on what I?ve missed, but at issue 4, I am already puzzled by a couple things. I don?t mean to nitpick, but I am wondering if there are explanations for:

A. Stockman letting Hob go after Splinter and the turtles, instead of capturing and studying him. I suppose he was not injected with one of the serums, so he wouldn?t be quite as useful as the turtles or Splinter but it still strikes me as odd that they would let him go as opposed to studying him.

B. The turtles and Old Hob being able to speak English right after mutating. Is the English language encoded into the mutagen? Sorry for being a smartass, there is probably a good answer.

Thanks for any confusion you can clear up. I?m really enjoying the start of the journey, but I?m a tad hung up on these questions.
I'd have to go back and reread this material (which is either in archive or in my office at IDW central which is currently locked down!), so this is just off the top of my head but...

A) Hob was still kinda working as a minion for Stockman at this point, right? I imagine Baxter thought that he'd get more value out of Hob engaging the Turtles or that Hob would be too unruly to keep around. That, and the fact that Hob wasn't a "controlled" experiment perhaps meant he only had so much scientific value to Baxter.

B) Ha, no, I don't know that I have any good answer for that. Both the Turtles and Hob were around humans before mutating so perhaps they absorbed some English in some way, the understanding and speaking of which was enhanced when the mutagen affected their brains.

That's clearly me just making stuff up to justify. To a degree we're doing what has always been done with mutagen in TMNT-- playing fast and loose with the science of it so it works for the story. I definitely don't recommend looking too closely at it as more holes will likely appear!
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote