View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #44
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetello View Post
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but 4kids isn't as big in the USA as the likes of Nickelodeon is it? I was always under the impression that it wasn't a household name, but not being American I could well be wrong about that. If true that would probably account for why it didn't get great ratings at the time.
No, 4Kids is not a household name over here. In fact, back when 2k3 was airing, 4Kids had a very bad reputation, particularly among anime fans, for its butchered dubbing of One Piece and Sonic X [IIRC, both of which aired alongside TMNT] and its heavy editing to Yugioh and mediocre dubbing of anything else it got its hands on. The only thing people generally agree that 4Kids did right was Pokémon.

However, 2k3 came on Saturday mornings on Fox. That was a fairly popular channel, though not the best -- a few years prior to the Fox Box programming block, Fox Kids was around and aired stuff like Digimon and Monster Rancher. [Unfortunately Digimon is the only reason Fox Kids survived as long as it did since other networks honestly had better cartoons. The only reason why I even had an interest in the Fox Box is because of Fox Kids since I'm a huge fan of Digimon.]

SO ULTIMATELY the answer to your question is yes and no. Fox was not the best channel for the show to have been on, but if it hadn't been on it, we probably would have gotten a more watered-down show.