View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #491
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Overall I am neutral on it. I just prefer it to be a possible future instead of set in stone. Not a fan of the Davis character, he just came across as impulsive, dimwitted, and energetic. He is not layered like the others. I remember at one point thinking he and T.K. were going to fight over Karai like Tai and Matt might with Sora, but neither came to be.
I probably already made my opinion known on the dub portrayal of the characters and how, for me, "Davis" and Daisuke are two completely different characters. Daisuke had a normal crush on Hikari, where as Takeru didn't really seem to...not during 02 anyway. The fact that you viewed Daisuke (or Davis) in the way you did shows you missed the whole part about his open and friendly nature, hence why the others got along with him. Yes, he was an energetic type, but then again, so was Taichi. With the exception of boys not into athletics, what boy isn't in these types of shows? lol

Yamato and Taichi didn't fight over Sora because, well, why would they have? In Adventure 02, we found out that Taichi did like Sora, but knew that he couldn't force that either. Sora didn't know that Taichi liked her and neither did Yamato. It would've been strange if they fought over her when there was no real triangle to begin with.
Quote:
As far as occupations go, I wondered if in the intervening time they would be updated like how during its initial run the most advanced thing was online stores like Amazon and Ebay and now with the digital age flourishing if it would change where they go. It appears to be what happened with Mimi.
It's a possibility. I know that Kizuna takes place in 2010, if I'm not mistaken, so it's in its infancy, pretty much, but there's still time for her to put her culinary hobby back to the test. As mentioned, her affinity for foods was established back in Adventure. She likes strangely combined food concoctions...which can be blamed on her mother. She was the influence.
Quote:
Sora and Joe seemed like their careers were picked for them and they conformed to follow it.
In the case of Sora, I still like the irony that she became so traditional. Seems that the bonding and growing closer to her mother influenced her. Even her playing tennis was due to Sora bonding with her mother and realizing that she enjoyed it, which was why she stopped playing soccer (still wish she'd stuck with tennis or something for Tri). Her mother was former player of it. I wouldn't say that the career was chosen for her...but she does seem to be in ikebana and stuff because of her mother. We know that's going to change, though...so something is going to cause that which has her going on her own path, with her mother's inspiration.
Quote:
While I am thinking about it, was Sora's father ever mentioned at all? I guess we can assume that her parents divorced?
I doubt it. It's Japan. Sora's father is a university professor at Toudai (Tokyo Daigaku) and he does a lot of travel and research for the books he writes. As a matter of fact, I think he was doing research while in Kyoto when the other kids ran into him and Shuu in Adventure 02. I know this has been mentioned, but who knows where he would be future wise...maybe still publishing his books.

It's typical in Japan for husbands/men to have jobs that may involve travel. I know when living there I saw this a lot. I worked with business men too, who may say they're transferred over from another city and living there while their families are in other parts of the country. A friend of mine, whose husband I'd only met maybe twice out of the nearly 8 years I lived there, had that situation. For his work, he lived a few towns over because of his job. They may see him a few times a year. I remember one year I spent my Christmas there and he wasn't there...but yeah, it's the norm in some cases.

Also, some extra information for you...the Takenouchi name is the mother's name, not Sora's father's. So he took his wife's name and not the other way around. It's the case for some couples there, but my assumption is that since Sora's mom ran a business and school (I think she had a famous flower arrangement school), she wanted to keep her name. They can only have one family registry anyway per household.

As for Jou, it started off that way...his wanting to get into the medical field because of his father pretty much demanding it or expecting them to, but as we saw Jou decided this on his own. Speaking with Shin (who went against their father's wishes to act as a doctor without borders) and Shuu (who switched his major from medical to humanities...too bad we don't know how his father reacted to it, we just have an idea how he would have based on what Jou was saying when telling Shin), influenced Jou some. He wasn't sure he wanted to be a doctor until his Digital World adventure and Shin did tell him that he should become a doctor because he wants to, not because their dad wants him to. So in this regard, it really wasn't his father that had Jou decide on becoming a doctor, it was his adventure that did it along with his brothers making decisions for themselves and his admiring that.

As for the other things you brought up...can't fully comment. I still haven't been able to get through Kizuna and all that in its entirety.

Last edited by ssjup81; 10-19-2020 at 09:13 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote