View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 09:25 PM   #10641
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Wait, Taki, Sophitia and Cassandra aren't in the latest entry of the series? Why do fighting games love to do that kind of stuff? Scorpion also missed the vanilla version of MK3. Seriously, why do Fighters often decide not to put popular characters from previous games in their latest installments? I can understand older games doing that due to there not bring enough space for a larger number of characters, but why do modern fighters keep on doing that?! Makes sense. Taki and Sophitia are very popular characters. Makes no sense not to include them.

It's been about 2 years since I last played SCII. I really liked Cervantes and Sophitia. Taki too. Link was fine too. Didn't use Ivy much because she was a bit harder to control and I guess she wasn't much my style. I never got around to beat the story mode/mission mode. Some of the later missions are hard as hell man.

Voldo can die jn a fire. I HATE facing him.
Some of them are back in Part VI, but I'm only on Part V yet.

There was a 17-year in-story gap between SoulCalibur IV and V, so some characters were replaced with their successors and whatnot (who are pretty much just stand-ins); Natsu is apparently Taki's protege' and thus takes her place in the game having almost all of the same moves, Sophitia's daughter Pyrrha has almost all of Sophitia's moves, and so on.

The developers claimed that certain characters like Taki would be "too old" to still be doing the same thing in V, but most people call bullsh*t on that because several characters like Ivy, Maxi, Mitsurugi and Siegfried are all still in it and in most cases look exactly the same as they did in IV, age-wise. It feels honestly more like they wanted to shake up the roster a bit with some fresh faces but didn't want to lose the basic elements of some of the more familiar characters, so rather than create fully-new ones they just tacked their movesets onto newer, "younger" characters. Like in Taki's case, she's definitely missed but playing as Natsu instead is physically the same experience, so I guess they figured "good enough".

In Sophitia's case, by the time of SCV she's alleged to be dead, killed by Tira, but we honestly only have Tira's word for that even though it's probably true. So being dead might've been a bit of a problem towards her appearing in that one. Although again, I think Raphael was technically "dead" at that point in time too yet appears as a playable character (not entirely sure on that one; story events around V seem a bit muddled, since the game itself doesn't give any detail on anyone except for Sophitia's kids, leaving it up to folks to search the internet to find out what happened to anyone else). But in Sophitia's case, it makes *some* sense that they'd move her aside to better distinguish her two kids, especially since Pyrrha's style is so similar.

Not sure where Cassandra is during V, as she's never mentioned. I'm guessing that both her and Sophitia were essentially thought of as redundant with Pyrrha and Patroklos there instead. I know she's a huge part of Part VI, though.

As I understand it, the plot of VI goes back to the timeline of SCI and II and takes things in an alternate direction, so a lot of the main characters like Taki and Sophitia who were absent from V ended up coming back. So there's that, at least.

I agree that it's frustrating when games will do that sort of thing, regardless of reasons. Every character is someone's favorite, after all. I know space is limited and sometimes "new" characters make old ones redundant, and you can't just repackage the same exact roster every time, switch some costumes around and say it's a whole new game... but selfishly, I wish these games would only add characters, not remove them.

Like I know that Mortal Kombat: Armageddon wasn't considered to be a high point of the series by a ton of folks, but it was just so cool to have 99.9% of the entire roster from every MK game thus far that I could forgive a ton otherwise. I wish more fighting series would do that, but I understand why they don't.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote