View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 06:44 AM   #1
Leo656
The Franchise

Funko Savage World/Primal Age

Anybody collecting these?

For those unaware, they're almost (but not quite) 1:1 with the original He-Man scale. They're like a hair bigger but it's generally not noticeable, and they look GREAT on the shelf next to the He-Man stuff.

They've done Mortal Kombat, Thundercats, Horror Icons, and they recently started a line of DC figures in the same scale and style. MK and Thundercats characters retain their normal looks, but the DC and Horror figures are "reimagined" to fit more in line with He-Man, sort of a "Post-Apocalyptic Barbarian" aesthetic.

I originally picked up a Sub-Zero as a goof, but the more I messed with it, the cooler it seemed. Since then I've picked up a few, including Lion-O and Mumm-Ra, and the other day I picked up their Freddy Krueger. Visually, I think these guys are cool as hell, and I eventually plan to get all of them. Having a Lion-O that's in scale with my He-Man is incredible, for one thing, after a lifetime of wanting exactly that.

They do some playsets and stuff, too, like a Batcave that's very reminiscent of the old Castle Grayskull/Snake Mountain sets. Pretty spiffy!

There's some unfortunate quality control issues in a few figures, though. The Horror and MK ones were put together differently from the DC and Thundercats ones, and the latter sets apparently have REALLY bad luck with the legs breaking. Especially the DC ones, which are Amazon exclusives - the plastic itself apparently had a manufacturing flaw in the early waves of those figures, and we all know how "gentle" the people who ship packages are in handling them, so a lot of the DC ones shipped broken. Allegedly, newer shipments are having better luck, but it's partly why I didn't pick up any of the DC ones, yet. As is, Lion-O's leg pops off rather easily, but the peg is fine so I should be able to fix it up with some glue. On others, the pegs just plain snap off sometimes, and that's a real bummer. Again, word is that newer waves are doing better.

The MK and Horror figures use the same build as the old He-Man's, with the "rubber band" legs, so they have none of these issues, and generally feel a bit more "sturdy" than the Thundercats ones. They all LOOK great, though. Skeletor, Mumm-Ra, and Freddy make quite the sinister trio.

Altogether, I really do recommend them if you're a fan of the scale or "throwback" figures in general. At the very least, having a Lion-O that's (mostly) in scale with my He-Man was mandatory. Buyer beware with the DC and Thundercats, though; I might try and find the DC ones in good shape at the flea market, rather than risk having them be mishandled and broken during shipping, as so many others have had to deal with. Apparently the boxes arrive straight-up mangled most times, so it's no wonder the damn figures break, too. The MK and Horror ones, though, are put together much better and I haven't heard about these problems. They're easy to find at Target, FYE, GameStop, etc., for anywhere from $10-20. Popular characters like Lion-O tend to go towards the $20 range, but Kitana and Liu Kang seem to sit around for $10-12 in most places.

If you can find 'em in good shape, though, they're worth a look. I dig 'em a lot. Anybody else into these besides me?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote