View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 09:23 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, I really ended up loving the DC series. I'd only read like two issues of it before buying the Omnibus a couple of months ago, and while I can see why some people don't like it - particularly Filmation cartoon fans; the book at times seemed to go out of its way to kind of give the finger to that series, especially with what they did with Orko - I feel like within the context of the story they were telling everything they did made sense. It didn't feel like it was just a nostalgia trip; it felt like a version of the mythos aimed specifically at people of a certain age who grew up with the franchise and always wanted a more "mature" exploration of the lore. If I'd change anything at all, I would only have kept the characters in their classic costume designs. I honestly really didn't like most of the "new looks" for He-Man and others very much at all, but I was so into the story itself that I stopped caring about the costumes pretty fast.

Outside of the mainline series, I thought the MOTU/Thundercats cross-over WAS just a straight-up nostalgia trip, but was still just about perfect for what that story tried to be, as well.

Basically, I thought that just about everything DC did with the brand in comic book form was great. The only thing I was a bit "meh" about was the actual DC/MOTU cross-over; I was pleased that it was actually integral to the main plot of the ongoing series, but the fact that it was the New 52 version of the DC characters took it down a few points, along with a few other things. I liked it a bit more the second time I read it but I still think that it's the weakest thing from the entire DC MOTU run, including the non-canon Thundercats and Injustice cross-overs.

Masters of the Multiverse definitely could have been a bit better if it had more room to breathe, and some of the variant universes barely had much of a spotlight, but given that there was no chance it was ever gonna be a big 12-issue thing I think it's about as good as it ever could have been. It covered a little bit of everything AND wrapped up the ongoing series as a nice little "epilogue" of sorts, making the ending of that series really important (just when I was wondering if that universe would come into play at ALL in the mini-series and had just about stopped expecting it to). That was really clever and well done.

Given that this new book is just a mini-series designed to bridge the Filmation cartoon with the new Kevin Smith cartoon that's coming out, I'm not expecting a whole lot but it might still be pretty good.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote