View Single Post
Old 05-18-2021, 09:26 PM   #2319
Ace Conrad
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
And within that there are other rights that aren’t covered (so NECA have to get actors likeness rights, Brian has said some vintage toy designs like Forgotten Sewer belong to Playmates, any version of Usagi, etc.)
I wonder if this means that they can't use Playmate's prototypes of released figures either.
As much as I love this line, the one thing that has bugged me is how they seemed to be avoiding using the original (fully painted) Playmates prototypes or even the box/package artwork (also based on the fully painted prototypes) when deciding on the color/paint of the unpainted sculpted details from the original figures.
For example, if you look at the original Playmates package art/photos for Mutagen Man, he was supposed to have fully painted skull and organs:

Also Mondo Gecko was originally supposed to have a fully painted engine on his skateboard (figure proto and card art).

These extra painted details were more than likely scrapped by Playmates to cut cost.
One of my hopes with this currently line from Super7 was that we would finally get to see these original Playmates figures shown/release as they were originally intended (paintwise).

I remember as a child when I would get a Playmates TMNT figure and get disappointed when I would compare the figure with the box art and photos on the back and see how much painted detail was omitted from the final figure. In some cases I would actually try to paint the details myself (rather poorly I might add).

Last edited by Ace Conrad; 05-18-2021 at 09:37 PM.
Ace Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote