View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Kamikaze View Post
Well, the original Mirage TMNT #1 was supposed to a one-shot parody of Daredevil, right? The Shredder dies in the first issue, and I don't think Eastman and Laird thought through any kind of personal rivalry between Oroku Saki and the Turtles when they wrote that first issue. They were trying to tell a tongue-in-cheek story about a ninja clan, honor, revenge, etc., and the little details weren't supposed to matter much outside setting up the fight in the climax. So Oroku Nagi fit into that story when it was a one-shot, but once the series came into its own, he became a footnote. Later, when different TMNT universes built on Oroku Saki's character and made him more of a focal point in the mythology, it made sense to streamline the narrative and give him a more personal vendetta against Hamato Yoshi, and Oroku Nagi officially became extraneous.

So no, in the context of an ongoing series, I'd say the mythology doesn't really need Shredder's brother. It's one of those false starts you see a lot at the beginning of stories that grow with the telling.
Well said sir. I'm surprised that Mirage never tried to expand on him. I mean, there's gotta be some story potential there. Do something with Nagi's relationship with Saki. Show the human side that made his death change Saki. (Well, that and supposedly the Foot's training.)

Off topic, but something just dawned on me....How does Splinter know about events that happen to Saki in Japan while he and the Hamato's are in NY?

Sorry....over thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think it was so Shredder killed someone Yoshi loved (Tang Shen), then Yoshi killed someone Shredder loved (his brother Nagi), and then Shredder killed Yoshi.

...And then Splinter has the Turtles kill Shredder. In the Mirage universe the vengenence cycle works well.
BUT that's not how it works.

Yoshi killed Nagi to protect Shen, THEN years later Saki kills BOTH Shen and Yoshi in an act of revenge. The Turtles killing Shredder does close the loop, but there's no Shredder killing Shen so Yoshi kills Nagi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warboss74 View Post
I think the dynamic his place in the origin brings to the character of the Shredder and subsequently Splinter and the turtles is something I'd like to see explored in future turtle universes.
As I said above, me too. So much untapped potential. May have to come up with a "fanon" story about Nagi.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656

Last edited by Jester; 08-09-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote