View Single Post
Old 12-03-2021, 09:14 PM   #808
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I've never seen or heard a single positive thing spoken of "Clownfish" until Just Now. Never watched a single video of theirs, I only know that their "reputation" as it is seems to basically be that they're junk food.

Full disclosure, I detest just about all of these YouTube "personalities" out of hand. Like I still like AVGN but the bad part of him becoming a huge success was that now every "reviewer" of things must also be a full-blown character, to the point where they become insufferable. People push that Critical Drinker guy, too, and like... I think I clicked ONE of his "reviews" once, might've even been his review of Revelation Part 1, and the opener was just him laughing hyperbolically for like a full minute... and I'm like "Nope, done, another f*cking buffoon, no insight to be gained here." Maybe SOME people have time to waste on nitwits like that but I certainly don't. I don't find it informative or entertaining, just annoying. There's every chance I'd agree with some of their opinions... but I certainly am not going to bother finding out.

It's incredibly rare that I'll watch any "reviews" of a thing unless they're Sega Lord X, Wrestling Bios, or Wrestling With Wregret. The guys that make those videos still come off like real people with real opinions, and are incredibly insightful. They don't just rag on things for clicks so they can jump on the current Outrage Parade. Of course, it probably doesn't hurt that 99.9% of the stuff they cover is ages old by now, thus there's no need for the overblown caterwauling seen in so many current-day "reviews". But still, those guys are all incredibly even-handed even when discussing things they strongly don't like, and I really wish more people could speak on that wavelength.

Like any of those guys, they can make a statement I strongly disagree with, but I'll still be able to be like, "Yeah, that's a fair point." Whereas with stuff like Critical Drinker and ToyGuru or whoever, I'm like "Ugh, I don't even care what this person says at all because every single thing about them is so incredibly off-putting."

But yeah I definitely would never expect honest or intelligent discourse from a source calling themselves "Clownfish", regardless of topic. Perhaps that's a bit presumptuous of me but I'm pretty sure their name speaks for themselves. My head screams "Outrage clickbait nonsense" is their entire M.O.; maybe I'm wrong but I'm probably not.
One thing I like about Clownfish though, is the husband and wife dynamic and that the wife goes against most if not all of the woke feminist ******** that they think women would love. She actually loves OG She-Ra and hates the new one and what the true intention was for that one, for example.

As for moi, I admit even I fell a bit for the whole 'angry reviewer' thing like everybody else, except I didn't want to just review crappy games, I wanted to review stuff I actually liked. I don't buy crappy games, those eventually get sold or whatever. But sometimes some things would fall through the cracks, like how could Konami make such an awesome TMNT Fighting Game for the SNES and then...... that other one for the Genesis version.... or the disappointment that KOF 12 turned out to be some sort of incomplete beta for what would become KOF 13, stuff like that, that's when I guess I would enter angry mode. I remember I had my brother do his own 'angry mode' when we did MK VS DC to kinda represent the fanbase backlash over the tame Fatalities and whatnot.

My character is a slightly more animated version of myself, and even then it's still slightly cause well... I can get overly animated about stuff I actually like so I guess the lines blur. I do keep politics and wokeness and all that **** out of my reviews though. Even if a movie, say like Joker had a lot of politics behind it, I give a disclaimer saying 'yeah I'm not gonna talk about any of that' and just go into if I actually liked the film or not, for example.

I know people don't care much for long skits and crap so I try to keep the banter to a minimum and get straight to the review as fast as we can, other than greetings, introductions, etc.

As for that video you mentioned of the dude laughing it up before even starting the review.... yeah if it's one thing that's very hard to do is 'fake laugh'. I just can't. Most of the time I laugh when I'm filming with friends and they start going off script and saying silly **** or doing silly **** where I can't help but to laugh, but yeah I can't do the fake laugh thing. I hate it cause it's so obvious it's fake. Like the one time Nostalgia Critic was laughing at Vanilla Ice's hairstyle, it went on and on and on and it was so annoying cause you could tell it was so damn overly fake.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 12-03-2021 at 09:26 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote