View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 10:51 PM   #145
Leo656
The Franchise

Eh kinda. Like I actually don't skim too many at all - no time or patience - but the He-Man boards are one example. Everyone there is "well-behaved" to a fault, but it's also in part because you get NO leash from the Mods at all, they have a Warning/Infraction System that is heavily enforced with no leeway whatsoever.

Like, I got an infraction last year for going off-topic in a thread, like they had two separate threads about a possible He-Man movie, one about the movie itself and one just speculation/wishful thinking about the casting of such a movie. And naturally, there's a lot of crossover in such a conversation because that's how people talk. But at one point too many people were saying stuff like "Y'know who'd be good?" in the "regular" movie thread, and one of the Mods came in with "This is a reminder to keep all casting speculation/discussion in the designated Casting Speculation Thread." And then it inevitably drifted away again, because how can you NOT talk about a movie without also talking about the cast? And does it NEED to be strictly in its own thread? But in any case, the next day I (and a few others) logged on to be told via PM, "You have received one infraction for ignoring the Mods' request to keep all casting discussion in the designated thread. This infraction will be removed in 12 months if no other infractions are given. Three combined infractions will result in being Banned permanently from the forum."

It wasn't JUST me who got slapped, and the Mod actually apologized to me via PM for "having" to do it, but it's like yeesh, that's a bit draconian.

Their profanity filter is even more strict than this one, like you can't mention Dick Van Dyke or it just comes out as "**** Van ****" for example. Talking about Dick Grayson or Dick Tracy is a chore, because you're "not supposed to" try and bypass the profanity filter, but some of us just type it as "D!ck" if we're just speaking about someone's name. They've got a whole ton more censored words than we do, and like, saying something is "woke" is grounds for a Temp Ban at the least. It's a REALLY heavy-handed system. And I understand it, but I don't especially like it.

The purpose, apparently, is because they want to maintain it as a purely "family-friendly" forum, since supposedly some people browse it with their kids. I don't fully buy that, because we've heard that same chestnut here off and on but I don't really believe it; little kids don't go on forums and no parent is sitting there scrolling a forum with their young kid in their lap, and if they are then that kid can't read anyway because they're too young.

The other point is supposedly to "prevent and alleviate fights", but that also seems pretty chickensh*t to me because the He-Man fanbase skews 5-10 years older than the TMNT fanbase does, I mean there's people there pushing 50. So if they can't take a poke or a jab on a message board they might be a bit hypersensitive. I know one guy in particular is; every time anyone disagrees with them about anything, they go cry to the Mods about "harassment", to the point where the staff were like, "Either put people on Ignore or take a break, the fact people don't agree with you isn't harassment, people are allowed to have different opinions." They don't really contribute to anything, either; most of their posts are only to say they "absolutely love" something, or to reply to someone else with "I absolutely agree with everything you say!" And they do this in dozens of threads at once, every single day. And sometimes people are like, "Either tone it down or say something else." And whattya think they do? Cry to the Mods. Total manchild. Seems like a nice person, but the thinnest skin I've ever seen and it's VERY annoying.

Thankfully, most people are not That Guy, and in fact a lot of people are like, "Can we maybe lighten up a little bit with these restrictions? Everyone here is a grown adult and most of us are middle-aged." But they're like, "We need to make it a safe place for everyone." They do have a Restricted area where supposedly they allow off-brand topics like current events and things of controversy, but you have to specifically ask to be added to it and I can't be bothered. I know nobody there can handle me at full blast.

So I mean, it's a good place to talk about toys and cartoons... but JUST that. So I don't really interact there much because it's just very handcuffing to know that you can get Banned if you thread-drift a bit too much.

Like most places with "rules", I understand them while also thinking it's bullsh*t. Let adults talk like adults. Can't take it, find your Safe Space. Social media has no shortage of echo chambers and places where "You can't say that". I can't be around kids, and I can't be around "adults" who insist on acting like kids. Just the way I am.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote