Thread: Depression
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #6
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

Exercise always helps me feel better, more energized, and less anxious. Eating better helps too. There's actually a good amount of research (not articles from Huffpost, peer-reviewed research articles), to show that exercise is the most effective treatment for depression due to it being cheap, low side-effect, and providing almost immediate relief. Exercise also doesn't tend to plateau, like most medication regiments do. And it can be modified for almost any body type or condition so the only excuse you can have is that you haven't found the right exercise for you yet (Or don't have the time)
My favorite is just walking outside in green areas. Try finding local hiking or walking trails and just walking around in the woods for a while. It's a really great feeling.

I'm definitely depressed now. I've also never suffered anxiety attacks before so that's a new awful thing for me too. My new job, combined with being a full-time grad student gives me absolutely no free time and I am having a really hard time handling it. I have a ton of pressure on me to get so much done and maintain what needs to get done that I feel like I'm losing my mind. Thankfully, things are starting to calm down now, but I still feel like I never get to do anything for myself anymore. I live with my boyfriend and I have two roommates and I see them maybe once or twice a week for a few hours because we all work and I either have work to catch up on or schoolwork to finish. And I always miss out on parties and hanging out and that's really starting to wear on me. I think if I had the time to work out again, it'd be different. I need to find a gym with wifi so I can just do my homework on a dang treadmill.
Like, it's Saturday, but I've already been up for the past six hours trying to finish homework so that I can finish the work that I wasn't able to finish at work this week so that I have time to study for my test Sunday and maybe get time to see my boyfriend tonight.
I don't know how people do it with kids.
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote