View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #37
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
He let himself become an admiral? A shame he didn't heed Kirk's advice.

On a sidenote: when STP becomes the accepted acronym for Star Trek: Picard, can the naysayers admit that STD is the only sensible acronym for Star Trek: "Discovery"?

*edit: It's looking like STP is going to be an immigration story. After the Prime timeline events of the JJ film, Romulans are now refugees, and the Federation fails to live up to its ideals by denying them asylum. Picard (who will probably be sought out by a Romulan friend) will lead a ragtag crew of criminals and questionables to sneak Romulans across the Neutral Zone and settle them illegally in sanctuary planets that are willing to host them.

I hope not, though. If it turns out TPTB is going to be exploiting fans' love of Patrick Stewart and Picard to try and co-opt viewers into getting behind open borders... that's going to be very unfortunate.
If anyone should've been an admiral, it was Sisko. Commanding officer of a starbase, leading military officer and one of the top minds involved in the Dominion War's strategies and planning, and ranking officer and diplomat in charge of ushering Bajor into the Federation. That's all way above a captain's rank.

And while Picard is a paragon of virtue and leadership, I don't see Picard as an admiral. I think they should have gone the Ambassador route, instead. His gifts for diplomacy, problem-solving, and leadership were the best and, frankly, his desire for a Starfleet rank was always more about exploration, not the military.

Regardless of politics, I think this will be a great story. It makes sense given Picard's mindmelds with Sarek and Spock, his desire for Romulan peace and his past encounters with Shinzon... oh, and let's not forget Sela. Picard has a long history with the Romulan Star Empire and his desire to see them reconciled to a peaceful coexistence with the Federation. And if Starfleet and the Federation Council decide to take a hardliner stance with the Romulans' crisis, Picard standing up to them absolutely makes sense. Whether or not we agree with American open borders.

Also, welcome back, man! Been far too fvcking long without you around.