View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 02:16 AM   #591
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean... Devil's Advocate, but plenty of MOTU fans outright loathe the Filmation show, same as plenty of TMNT fans loathe the FW cartoon.

I love the Filmation cartoon but saying "It's not for everyone" is like saying water is wet. I recognize the complaints people have about it, it's not like they don't exist; I just feel like most people blow those things incredibly out of proportion.

...Kinda like how I feel about "Revelation", oddly enough.

I concur that it's a bit odd, to me, why any person who hates the older cartoon(s) would even care about what this one is like, but for a lot of people this series is the first time they've interacted with the brand in 35+ years and they're possibly curious about what it could be like.

Outside of that, everybody views things through their own "lens". What I've seen online so far is that for people who don't already have a strong association or affection for the MOTU brand, be it because they never had to begin with or because they're just "lapsed", to them this series serves predominantly as the latest "shots fired" in the ongoing Culture War. Without looking at it through the lens of "How does this compare to previous MOTU media?", they're left with "Is this 'woke' or not?"

Now, I don't think that's ultimately fair, to break ANYthing down to just That, and I do plenty of my own ranting about "Woke Garbage" when I feel that it's applicable, or hurts the experience, or what have you. But at the same time I think it's important to try and look at things from the perspective of how they'd play in a vacuum, removed from any larger "cultural" conversations. Like, ten years from now, people might not be arguing about what's "Woke" and what isn't, but some things will still play well and have a point. I feel this show will age well; I feel things like "The Last Jedi" or "Terminator: Dark Fate" will not.

But I do recognize - even if I'm not thrilled about it - that without a lens of previous MOTU familiarity to compare/contrast with, anyone else Right Now is more or less only left with the "cultural" angle to pick apart, or else they don't have much else to discuss.

Not everybody liked Filmation, but plenty of those people still like MOTU, or at least have a "fondness" or even a "curiosity" about it, and just don't have any other way of being part of the conversation. We're seeing a lot of that everywhere right now.

I think people who are intimately familiar with the older cartoons have the MOST right to be part of the conversation but I wouldn't say or imply that if they don't then they can't say anything at all.

Just playing Devil's Advocate. I personally think in ten years nobody's going to remember the "Woke crap" conversations and just think of this series as a more "adult-oriented" MOTU cartoon, and I think people read too much into stuff like a haircut. BUT, people can talk if they wanna, I suppose.

It's not like only FW fans talk about TMNT subjects in this f*cking cesspool, right?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote