View Single Post
Old 12-03-2021, 06:07 PM   #306
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Its explicitly part of Disney line of remakes of their animated features.
So it is to be expected that their new version of Ariel should be similar to the original one.
That's a better argument I suppose but all of these Disney live action remakes have taken liberties reinterpreting the animated movies I don't see how this is a step too far.

Quote:
Besides, in the end, The Little Mermaid was based on a European story.
The original is set in a country which strongly resembles 13th century Denmark and is largely believed to be that since that is were the writer is from. The Disney animated version certainly doesn't resemble Denmark. They already opened the door to changes. Also Ariel is not supposed to be from Europe; she's from an entirely fictional undersea kingdom strongly based on the Atlantis of Greek myth.

Quote:
I bet you'd be jumping through the roof, if they took African story and made lead character White?
If the characters were explicitly supposed to be African and changed to white I would be displeased yes. As I've said on this thread before black people are very underrepresented in mainstream media and have a history of being erased and having their culture stolen and co-opted by white people. That's why it's iffy when black characters continued to be white washed but not the other way around. You may not agree it's the best way but it's almost always done with the (good) intention of increasing diversity and doesn't have quite the same stain of history on it as when it's the other way around.

Quote:
We are not talking about adding people of color. We are talking about replacing White people from stories created by White people with people of color.
It's a new version and likely wont supplant the animated version in pop culture but okay I'll give you that. The problem still remains that non white people are under-represented in mainstream media and it seems that attempts to promote new or previously lesser known non white characters are often overlooked. So how do you solve the problem of giving non white characters better representation?

Quote:
and you are still a coward, because, you are running away from any discussion.
I'm engaging in discussion right now. I'm literally giving my opinion on every point you and mrmaczaps are making. There's no need for personal insults. I feel bending over backwards trying to engage in a good faith debate with two people that never really engage in good faith debates.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote