View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 11:34 PM   #3
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I am probably a good example of someone who would be best to give my two cents, since I am a new to just about everything TMNT.

And what I will say is that Mirage simply hasn't captured my heart. It's my love affair with Utroms that made me at least a little interested, with so many other names to them...but even then, there was only a single one that was even remotely interesting (Obligado!). Then there's the latter half of the fourth volume, and it just has "nope" sprayed all over the walls. It has the same problem with the Nick series in that it doesn't really finish its storylines very well, or doesn't care about finishing its storylines and that can get problematic.

The main art style doesn't help either. It's just too hard on the eyes. My favorite art styles are Jim Lawson's and Dario Brizuela's.

"Dark and gritty" would be okay - and even great - if it's done right (IDW!), and I don't think Mirage TMNT really grasps it. It comes off as baiting and heavy handed. Maybe that's because my idea of a truly dark story is fully realized in Little Shop of Horrors...which would say a lot about me as a person.