View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 04:20 PM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
These movies have always been a very loose adaption of the comic stories. The two Damian Wayne movies they made basically mixed like 5 years worth of comic stories into two movies along with the Court of Owls.

Remember these movies aren't typically aimed at comic fans, they're aimed at people who never picked up a comic in their life but watched the other DC cartoons aired on TV. They were never meant to be 1:1 adaptions.
You're missing my point. Without the violence and brutality, *THIS* story has no reason for existing or being adapted. Even Moore has said, it's barely a story and more just a string of horrific events, depicted in graphic and horrifying ways that shattered the boundaries of what comics were "allowed" to get away with at the time.

Other stories can get away with some trimming to fit what the censors want, but This Story has no point WITHOUT any of that. The events depicted over the story itself are mundane by comic standards. "Secondary character gets shot. Ho hum. Joker kidnaps a supporting cast member and Batman rescues them. Sigh. We see a Joker origin that DC annoyingly insists is NOT the 'real' one, because they hate Alan Moore and still think one of their own hacks will one day write a better one." What made the book stand out was ENTIRELY the graphic violence and torture scenes. The rest of it is nothing special, frankly.

You can't water it down too much, or at all, without completely losing the point of it, is what I'm saying.

I'm with Cylons in expecting that they'll go pretty far, maybe even farther than we suspect. I'm just curious as to HOW much they'll be allowed to do, because I suspect they will have to trim it down SOMEwhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by <TmNtRoX-1997> View Post
Not to mention A Death in the Family is a long and rather boring story.
No it's not! It was the one and only story where Jason wasn't portrayed as an insufferable prick who people WANTED dead. The whole story about finding his real mother was the only sympathetic story they'd ever done with him, and it was rather intriguing since it turned out a lot of what we thought we knew about his upbringing was false. And if you were reading the books at the time, all the stuff with the Joker trying to hijack nukes and making deals with the Ayatollah... that sh*t was GOLD at the time, since it was so topical.

Also, 4 issues. If that's a "long boring" story you must not have much of an attention span, no offense. Like all 80s comics, it's wordy, but you can still read it all in an hour.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 07-12-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote