View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #68
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It also maaaay be the artist side of things. You'll never see Geoff Johns not hiding behind an A-list artist with the best colorists -- no matter what, a Geoff Johns comic will always look really, really good. Which he ensures.

Grant Morrison doesn't hide behind A-list artists. I mean, he's worked with some great ones but mostly he partners up with artists as eclectic as he is who can best execute his scripts/notes.
I feel I've asked this comparison question before, but... You're in film - wouldn't you want your work to look it's best? I don't hear anyone complaining that A-List directors only work with the top DPs and art teams and A-list actors. I don't really understand how you can knock someone for it wanting their work to look it's best. Unless it's coming from a place of "Give some lesser-knowns a chance!" kind of mentality. In which case you're still left with a product that won't look as "pleasing" to the casual market, and now you've alienated a large portion of people who would have otherwised took a chance on your work.

Plus, you run the risk of looking like you're just giving your friends a big pay check for putting them at a top level title when their skills aren't quite up to snuff. I remember when Kevin Smith did Batman: Cacophony and everyone complained the art was crap and Walt Flannigan is only working on a Batman title because his buddy Kevin pushed for him.

I guess I'm just confused where you're perspective is coming from, because knocking a creative artist for wanting their stuff to look it's best seems... strange. Especially considering your background as a filmmaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Lots of comic book readers think Grant Morrison is a certified genius, but Grant Morrison is 100% certain of it.
Yup. What was that quote he made about Moore? Something like "Moore thinks he's great because he put out Watchmen. I put out a Watchmen every week."

Quote:
And since I'm a Superman fan, everyone insists that I must love All-Star Superman, and people are forever gushing about how it's "The Greatest Superman Comic Ever made." You know who says that? People who NEVER read a Superman comic, then read that one, and said "Oh, okay, this is fine." I personally think that book is "Okay" but f*cking masturbatory as hell.
I'm happy to hear we're on the same page with All Star Superman. It's by no means bad - there's parts that are quite brilliant. The Goth Girl one-page is perfect enough to be framed. Ditto with the one-page origin. But Superman himself just always felt so... distant and alien.

Quote:
And I tell ya, I SWEAR sometimes the man is just being weird for the sake of being weird; just to see how far people will "allow" him to push things.
Ever read The Filth?

Quote:
I have to say that reading comics shouldn't require so much "homework".
100 percent this.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote