Thread: Japanese Dub
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Just to clarify, I know some of the movies were dubbed, what I was referencing was the TV shows. Dragon Ball (1986-1989, 153 episodes), Dragon Ball Z (1989-1996, 291 episodes) and Dragon Ball GT (1996-1997, 64 episodes) were not dubbed into Swedish in any capicity. I understand why the movies were dubbed, since that must have been easier, but we were discussing the problems with dubbing TV shows.

The funny thing about the Dragon Ball movies however is that despite contradicting the manga and TV shows, you pretty much have to read the manga or watch the shows to understand anything, the movies just don't explain who the main characters are or their current situation. In four of the movies Goku is dead, if you're familiar with the manga/show you'd know why he's dead and why they didn't bring him back to life despite explicitly having the means to do so, but if you're just watching the movies you'd have no idea why he's dead or why he comes back to life later. Of course, if you are familiar with the manga/show then you'd know it only makes sense for him to be dead in one of these movies and that he should be dead two where he is alive. Those movies are confusing no matter what.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote