View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #391
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

One small change: I put "The Bait" before "The Decider". Mostly because "The Bait" treats Casey putting his mask back on as a "big" moment, as he's coming out of retirement to save Shadow. He wears his mask in "The Decider", but it's not given any spotlight, so narratively, I figured "The Bait" should go before "The Decider".

Speaking of "The Bait", I'm still vexed about the continuity of Shadow's age around the Volume 2 era and the Tales stories that take place in and around it.

When Shadow first appears in TMNT Vol. 2 #1, she's an infant with hardly any hair resting in her crib. When we see her again in issue #6, she's physically larger with longer hair, but still wearing a diaper, wobbling when she walks and rides in a kid's carseat. She doesn't speak at all throughout TMNT Vol. 2.

Stories like "The Bait" have her speaking, but in very broken, one-word phrases ("pin-ter", "da-da", etc). She's also drawn smaller and is shown in a stroller or carseat throughout the story.

I haven't gotten to "The Proposal" yet, but I think in that one Shadow is drawn to be REALLY young. The problem with placing stories like "The Bait" and "The Proposal" between "City at War" and Vol. 2 is that those issues have the Turtles all reunited and Splinter hanging in New York, which kind of disrupts the idea of the Turtles being estranged and Splinter confining himself to Northampton, at least from a narrative POV.

So I dunno. Shadow's age is all over the place and even the same artist (Lawson) doesn't seem to keep track of how physically developed she is. I think it might be something best regarded as "artist's interpretation".
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote