View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 10:22 PM   #36
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post

Sorry, but its simply not true - in 1995 MK had a lot more competition, than it did in 2000s or now. It was a time when a most companies could allow themselves to keep several fighting game series active, so there was strong competition from Capcom (Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Marvel crossovers), SNK (Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, The King of Fighters), Nintendo (Killer Instinct (produced in part by Midway as well), not to mention rising popularity of 3D fighting games, like Virtua Fighter, Tekken and SoulEdge (SoulBlade). And crapton of lesser known 2D and 3D fighting games.

In 2000s it was basically only MK vs Tekken and SoulCalibur, which by mid 00s was not a factor anymore. Virtua Fighter was interesting only for hardcore players, Dead or Alive went exclusive for XBox and everything else was either dead or niche.

And nowadays MK belongs to higher end fighting games and its only viable competition is Tekken, with Street Fighter distant 3rd and everything else being for hardcore fans or 2D enthusiasts.
I'm not sure if living in different regions is playing a factor or what, but over here the only fighting games that were popular with anyone except "hardcores" in the 90s were SF, MK, Marvel vs., Tekken and Virtua Fighter. The other stuff was pretty "niche" and not a lot of people were playing them at home, and I'm not only looking at how popular things were in the arcade but in general across the board. If anything I'm focusing MORE on home console versions because the sales numbers are easier to nail down. Most of the franchises you bring up were more popular in the arcades than at home - and it's very hard to measure those numbers because there are too many variable factors in play. So to try and simplify the conversation I'm purposely focusing more on home console numbers.

It's true that the number of fighting game franchises shrunk in the 2000s after the arcades died down, but the number of fighting game series that instead had high-quality home ports went UP. Even though some games like the Marvel vs. series did have home ports in the 90s, most of them were crap and they didn't do well. A LOT of arcade fighting ports in the 90s weren't so hot. But in the 2000s, home console versions were the standards, and were even beyond what arcades at that time could offer. Sure, it was "only" MK, SoulCalibur, Tekken, VF, DOA and Guilty Gear, and a couple of others, but ALL of those games were GOOD, which was a brand new thing for home console fighting games, and that's what I'm talking about when I say there was "more competition". Instead of someone having their pick from a larger crop of mixed-quality fighters from two dozen franchises, they had a much smaller selection but everything they could pick from was A+ quality, which simply wasn't true in the 90s. The 2000s were "Quality Over Quantity" when it came to fighting games. ALL of those franchises were incredibly well-received and sold well across the board.

It's one thing to say, "The fighting game genre had a bit of a lull after the arcades died, and about a dozen or more series went away when everything shifted to home consoles." That's a true statement. But again, every single fighting game that came out for home consoles in the 2000s, just about, got huge scores and sold millions of copies. SC, Tekken, KoF all did good business. It's not like there was a lot of crap coming out; if anything, the games in the 2000s were better than those in the 90s, there were just fewer of them all-around.

THAT's what I mean by "The mid-period MK games had more competition". MKII and MK3 were up against a bunch of mostly-niche stuff that wasn't anywhere near as popular and a lot of which suffered greatly when ported to home consoles. Whereas DA and the others were coming out at the same time when every home fighting game got scores of 8/10 or higher and sold at least a million copies as a default. Darkstalkers and Fatal Fury weren't eating up any of MK's profits back in the 90s, that simply wasn't happening. The race between franchises in the 2000s was much, much tighter. There was much more parity in that era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
MK does seem to be at a height of popularity now but I wouldn't say it's bigger than in the 90s.
It might be. Maybe not in terms of "hype" but 8 million copies for MK11 is nothing to sneeze at. MK2 never came close to selling 8 million copies of all its home ports combined. Again, arcade numbers and inflation muddy the waters significantly.

As I keep saying, it's really tough to compare apples and oranges because so many things are different Now vs. Then. There's no other fighting games that anyone cares about right now, and that certainly helps feed MK11's success. Plus a huge chunk of MK1-3's money came from a business model that is now extinct. So there's no way to possibly do a 1:1 comparison to see which is more "popular" or "successful".

I think MKII had a lot more hype, but I think MK11 probably made more money. But I could be wrong.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Last edited by Leo656; 04-28-2021 at 10:29 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote