View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #71
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Konami attempted to turn Castlevania into big 3D, but every time they efforts were for naught: CV64 was rushed and made by an inexperienced team, so developers were allowed to make a "better" version of it, Legacy of Darkness. Both games failed to become "superhits" forcing Konami to make 2D Castlevanias.
True. Though the reasons they were not superhits were because they did not deserve to be superhits. Though they weren't going in the wrong direction.

And I don't think Konami always coming out with new 2D Castletroid stuff on the handhelds has anything to do with the 3D ones "failing" on the main consoles. They always would have done more 2D Castletroid stuff because they're affordable to make and easy to crank out.

Quote:
Just a year later Castlevania Resurrection for Dreamcast was canceled, supposedly, due to the conflict between Konami Japan and Konami USA.
It was going to be a disaster. I remember writing about it on my old Castlevania website. It was going to be a big time traveling thing with Sonia Belmont (from Castlevania Legends on Gameboy that was already removed from canon) and others. A few things leaked from it.

Quote:
Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness were made on a shoestring budget
Do you think? Lament of Innocence looked expensive to me, at least at the time. Curse of Darkness, not bad either. Engine and presentation-wise.

Quote:
Symphony of the Night 2 was canceled, most likely, because, Konami didn't see how Igarashi (producer of the series) could make a good 3D game, he made LOI and COD after all and his 2D games were no longer profitable. Though Konami put out teaser for it and a Radio spectacle which was supposed to bridge SOTN1 and SOTN2, they've canceled the game and started seek for someone else to make it, which led to...
I don't even remember a Symphony of the Night 2 ever being announced.

Quote:
...LOS1 which was the best selling in the series and LOS2 which was messed up by EGO of the producer, who thought he knows better than designers and writers how the game should look and what story should be, so, as Leo said, it ended up as a failure.
It just struck me when they revealed LOS1 was a reboot. The up until then relatively faithful adherence to a timeline, a growing saga was -- I think -- one of the big boons to Castlevania fans. Now just throw it out the window? Not enhance it instead, or just play in an unexplored corner of it? Stupid. Needless.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote