View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 10:00 PM   #29
Leo656
The Franchise

Eh, the knee joints on the females are rather prominent but I'm not very bothered by them. It's always something, and you'll never please anyone anyway. I personally am not a big fan of "ab crunch" joints, for example; they rarely seem to contribute much and they're very often prominent to the point of ugliness, like the new AEW figures where guys look like they were sawed in half and spliced back together. Point being, when it comes to articulation, it's all very subjective and there's no way to please everyone.

They're definitely doing a lot very fast, but sadly, I have a nagging feeling that the Kevin Smith MOTU project isn't going to be what anyone hopes for. I *like* Kevin, and I do like much of his work - the early stuff, like any sane person does, before he went nuts and completely lost the plot about 15 years ago - but I've seen his Batman. I've seen how he tackles the "Iconic And Beloved Characters From Yesteryear." And that has me more frightened than enthusiastic. I suspect that Mattel knows more than we do and may be suffering a bit of "buyer's remorse" on the project, or at the very least they expect it to be HIGHLY divisive. Therefore, what I suspect is happening, is that Mattel is pumping out a ton of MOTU stuff NOW, just in case Smith's project sh*ts the bed and renders the entire property radioactive for another ten years. Which let's be honest, has a really good chance of happening.

As for the live action movie... I'll believe that's a real thing when I'm finally in the theater, I've been saying that since they announced it in goddamn 2001. Likewise, I'll also believe that it won't be complete garbage when I see that with my own eyes, as well. I can't tell you how afraid I am of that movie. A lot can go right, but even more can go wrong. And right now, Hollywood is firmly in "Let's Do Everything Wrong" mode. They missed the boat by not going full-blown Epic Fantasy and putting out the live-action movie in 2003 when the cartoon was out and Lord of the Rings was still hot. It's way more of a risk Now than it was Then, but back then it was dismissed (despite a really good script premise from Goyer) because it would have been Too Expensive. That doesn't give me any hope at all for what we might get NOW. Aside from wanting it to be made cheap, right now Hollywood is leaning hard on remakes that do little but remind you how stupid the original was and what an idiot you were for liking it. I really don't want that to happen to he-Man, but I have a bad feeling it might.

But anyways, if and when the live action movie comes out, IF it ever does, the toys that come with it will probably be completely different from the Origins line, so I doubt one will affect the other very much. Origins might be done by then, we don't know.

But yeah, I feel like Mattel is trying to give us as much as they can NOW in case those future projects don't pan out. Which honestly makes sense.

I haven't seen any of the Masterverse stuff. I honestly don't keep up on things as much as I should. I gotta do better at that.

As for the Origins figures and their availability, "techincally" they're available at the Walmart over here but ours sucks. I've seen pictures online of many Walmart stores getting great big end-of-aisle displays holding dozens of MOTU figures; we get a single hook that's always empty and gets restocked "whenever". I broke down and got He-Man and Skeletor online a few months ago when I just couldn't find the first wave anywhere after weeks of trying. They've since popped up a few times since then, but I've only encountered those two figures at Walmart. Everything else get snapped up immediately. I managed to get Battle Cat and the Sky Sled with Adam at the flea market over here because I'm friends with one of the vendors and they hold stuff for me when they can.

Likewise, they just got in Beast Man and Man-At-Arms, the two I still need, and are gonna try and hold them for me until I can get there, hopefully by Sunday. I've pretty much given up on ever finding any of these at Walmart and paying $15 each for them; that's just not how the world works, anymore. "At Walmart for $15" is code for "$30 on eBay" and everybody knows it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote