View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

That's cool that you have access; I know how discouraging it can be to live vicariously through friends online 'cause there are no toys within a hundred miles!

Meanwhile, I aim to slowly (ever so slowly) put together a gargantuan sewer lair for my Turtles. It's something I've thought about off and on for many years.

For the bare-bones structure of my sewer lair I intend to get some lightweight plywood "walls" and attach them to a thicker "floor" piece to create a simple room with three walls and no ceiling, much like the 2003 Sewer Lair, only considerably larger.

If I can figure out how to perform some basic weathering tricks I will dirty up these wooden bits as thoroughly as I can, but first I'll hit them with some of that spray paint that's textured. I'm hoping it'll look convincingly concrete-like.

I also hope to add some long, narrow pieces of PVC pipe to the walls. I'll probably paint the pipes to make 'em look rusty... this is, again, assuming I somehow learn to do any of this stuff with anything resembling competence.

Meanwhile, I'm already gathering secondary structure pieces.

First up, I bought the G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra Pit/Mobile Command Center thing a few years ago as a poor substitute for all the bigass, badass playsets I missed out on when I was a lad... and the thing has just been gathering dust, so I'm taking it apart and using its pieces as random electrical sheds and panels and whatnot.

These, too, will benefit immensely from some weathering, but one can already get a sense of the potential, I think:

Again, there's a surprising amount of cool texture and detail that should convincingly suggest maintenance sheds or whatever.

Meanwhile, recently at the local thrift shop I spotted a big plastic bag filled with Tech Deck skating ramps. I always wanted some of these, but never enough to pay for them... and these were only $2 for the lot. Whoo-hoo!

More in the next post...

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Monte Williams is offline   Reply With Quote