View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #15939
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
I don't think they'd have done that even twenty years ago. Partly because you can't really build to that and have any kind of meaningful match, partly because they'd want to promote something as huge as a major, thought-to-be-retired Superstars return to the ring for PPV buys, back when they mattered. Surprise returns are usually saved for the Rumble for a lot of reasons, partly being the Rumble sells itself, surprise entrants are part of what everyone loves about it already, they're expected and they can then use the guy to build to 'Mania, if they're not a one off. Plus, "dirt sheets" existed even back then. In this case, Daniel Bryan's on the show every week anyway, so word would have leaked somehow.
What I meant by the statement was more so a general thing. It was easier to keep things quiet back then since we didn't have stuff getting leaked online and those who did have Internet was way fewer than what we have now. For instance, my family didn't fully start using Internet in the home until about 1999, and even then, I still didn't really use it given that I didn't fully get what the big deal with it was. So yeah, a surprise appearance by Daniel Bryan would've been great, but yeah...it would've been best for the Royal Rumble. I only brought up Wrestlemania because the Rumble is over.
Quote:
Ultimate Deletion was fun. I'm a little shocked Vince McMahon actually let them go ahead with that. But here we are. The question's where it goes from here. Looks like Bray's disappearing for a while. We probably won't know until after 'Mania, since Matt doesn't have another program and is probably going to be in the 'Dre.

The goofy stuff they did last year just reminds me of how much they completely dropped the ball on Bray. For years he'd kind of been a joke who couldn't win anything but on rare occasions, but they revitalized him well with the initial Orton angle, he won the WWE championship in a damn fun chamber match where he pinned Cena and Styles clean, then he pins Cena clean with no BS. Almost immediately, it all goes to hell. Bug projections, one of the worst Wrestlemania title matches in years, the House of Horrors, then onward to fifty fifty booking with his subsequent feuds that helps kill any other chance he had. They screwed the character over hard. It's a little upsetting. the Wyatt Family should have been huge, but they never went anywhere and Wyatt's collapsed entirely since it finally broke entirely.
Oh, I agree with what you said about his feud with Orton there. I like Bray and his creepiness factor. I was getting sick of seeing him lose, though after a while.

Well, at least this was still fun to watch. I wonder what they'll do with Bray since he fell into the lake of resurrection or whatever it was.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote