View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 12:49 AM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

It's quite funny, at the same time you posted that my wife and I were planning ahead for Christmas since Wave 2 of Origins will be out by then.

I really like the Origins line a lot. As I mentioned elsewhere, for one thing it's VERY exciting to be collecting He-Man toys again, especially getting in at the very start of a new retail line. For another thing, I just like everything about the execution. Sure, they're not MOTU Classics, which I also love, but as much as I love those figures I also love that I can buy MOTU figures for less than $100 each, finally. These are like if someone re-did the vintage figures with articulation that's reminiscent of Classics. They look great on the shelf right next to the vintage toys, but you can pose them like the newer stuff. I really dig that.

At first some of the color choices and face sculpts confused me just a little; they didn't bother me necessarily but I wasn't sure what they were going for, but then I read some of the very first mini-comics that came with the vintage figures and I recognized what they're going for. They're basically taking little bits and pieces of the vintage figures' look and mixing it with stuff from the mini-comics and Filmation cartoon to create a "Best Of Everything" kind of approach. I gotta say, I really like it and it gives the line its own unique style. It fits in so well with the original toys but the colors and articulation really makes it stand out.

So far I have He-Man, Skeletor, Battle Cat, the Sky Sled with Prince Adam, and my wife just got me Evil-Lyn and Teela. So I just need to get Beast Man and Man-At-Arms to complete Wave 1, which I might do next week. I looked at the updated release list on he-man.org to see what's planned through Spring, and I'm really blown away (albeit overwhelmed) by all that's set to come out. Grayskull is a must-buy, for sure, but I love that Panthor and Land Shark and stuff like that is also coming out so soon. I really wasn't expecting them to go in so hard right out of the gate! Again, it's a little bit overwhelming but in just a few months they'll have put out more figures than Super7 did in their 5.5-inch line, plus vehicles and playsets. That's awesome!

Another cool thing to me is how they're not strictly going by the release order of the original line, but mixing it all up in between Wave 1, Wave 6, and a little of in-between. Scare Glow is in Wave 2! That's awesome. Personally, I'm gonna try and get every damn thing I can. I've never managed to complete a MOTU line despite my best intentions and I'd really love to manage it this time. I think they're putting out a really great mix of characters in each Wave. I think that's smart; aside from Randor, Sorceress and Scare Glow, Wave 6 of the original line was mostly losers, and they're only the most expensive now because they were short-packed in the first place and also nobody cared enough to buy them so fewer exist in the wild. By mixing up the lineup for each Wave they can ensure that every Wave is very well-balanced and you don't ever get hit with a set that's mostly duds. It would really be something if, like Classics, this line managed to exceed the roster of the vintage series. With over 70 figures produced in the 80s line, that's a tall order, but they'll have over 20 out already by Spring, so we'll see!

The parts being so easy to swap are something I hadn't noticed until someone pointed it out, but man does that open up some great custom options, what with everything to come in the MOTU Origins and Masters of the WWE Universe lines. These might be the easiest figures of all time to swap parts on, and that's just great. I haven't popped any apart yet, but I can totally see the potential and it's exciting to think about.

I'm a HUGE fan of MOTU in all its forms, so everything about this line excites me, big time. I can't say no to more He-Man stuff. It's kind of a pain, since I'm concurrently buying these, filling in holes in my Vintage collection, trying to finish off the Super7 Filmation 5.5s, and once in a while buying one or two Classics... but on the other hand, it's hard to complain about being so thoroughly spoiled rotten. I never got over the "dark years" of absolutely no MOTU stuff in the 90s, so having "too much" MOTU product available is a curse I'll gladly suffer.
-----------------

I really like the Savage World stuff. It's so funny, because I only bought the Sub-Zero for my wife as a funny gift a few years back and thought it was silly but neat that Funko was making toys in the vintage MOTU style, but I wasn't really planning to collect them. But seeing them on the shelf with my vintage stuff looked so neat, and then Super7 started THEIR line of actual MOTU 5.5s, and that got it all started again and now I've got almost everything. Sure, they're very simple compared to something like Origins, but they do fit in great with a 5.5 collection and at the price you can't really beat it. As a kid I always wanted Thundercats that were reasonably in scale with my MOTU toys, so I really can't complain. But with Horror and DC and Street Fighter toys in the mix as well? Oh boy. I really didn't expect to care so much, but I do.

My angle is, even if you're 50/50 on them, they're about $10 each and there's not that many per series. So at least it's not a huge investment either way, whether you get whole sets or only a few guys here and there. The SF ones are the newest and even they're about $10 each. I kinda don't care much about some of the Thundercats villains myself, but for $10 each I may as well just complete the set since they're the only ones I'm really missing, y'know? I do have Sslithe, though, he's actually pretty cool. I was hoping they'd do a third set but I guess they got all the main guys in the first two sets. No Pumyra.

They're still almost shockingly cheap, but they're eventually gonna go up, so I say that if you're even in the stage of considering, you might as well just grab 'em while they're around. That's how I finished off the "Primal Age" set; they were all $10 so I just said "F*ck it" and filled all the holes in at once. Very satisfying. Simple style or not, it feels VERY good to get more than two or even ONE figure for $50-60 goddamn dollars anymore.

EDIT: In doing a quick search, the Thundercats ones have shot up recently, with a few hovering around $25-30, but that only kind of furthers my point about how they're only gonna get more expensive over time. I was gonna hold off on Monkian and Jackalman for a bit longer, but I may have to jump on them soon.

Obviously, I love modern-style toys and they're objectively "better" than vintage. But being of a certain age, I can't help but get excited every time I get a 5.5 figure of any kind. Every single time, it's magical, no matter which character it is.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 09-25-2020 at 01:19 AM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote