View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 03:42 AM   #67
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
MK4 on PC is the worst port of MK4 out there. MK4 on Arcade maybe doesn't have same amount of optional content (and secret characters), but it plays and looks much better.
Are you sure you're talking about the GOG version of MK4? Because while it is taking from the old PC version of MK4, it improves the graphics to an almost modern level, I understand, resolution wise.

Quote:
Majority of PS3 games emulated this days with no problems.
Though you will need a beefy machine for this and use some specific settings to make some games work. But it is not harder to work with than most other emulators.
Good. I see "MK vs. DC Universe" is one of the games currently emulatable.

Quote:
Funny you mention that, because, Akuma was specifically designed to play as close to the 2D games as possible.

Which made essentially "broken", since he doesn't follow the rules of other characters in the game and has an unfair advantage over them. Which is why you can see him a lot in the Tekken 7 tournaments.
Interesting. I'm not arguing with you, though when I'm getting my ass kicked really bad at Tekken 7 online, it's never by someone playing as Akuma. It's one of these new lady characters, or Lee, or something. And usually it is ME playing as Akuma.

Quote:
So, in a weird way, you singing praises about how he plays, is admitting, that 2D gameplay is superior to 3D one, because, you are enjoying character who essentially breaks rules of the game he is in.

3D fighting games are not "progress".
They operate on entirely different ruleset from 2D fighting games.
I'm not entirely sure I follow. If you say Akuma in Tekken 7 only works and you agree he does play like Akuma/Ryu/Ken in a normal SF 2D game, but only by cheating the rest of the "normal" characters and game in Tekken 7... what is the problem with making a new game -- be it a new SF game, or a new MK game -- where Akuma in Tekken 7 gameplay is the norm? Meaning, where you can sidestep, but otherwise moves and combos are essentially the same? i.e., everyone operating under Akuma "rules"?

If all characters and game is calibrated to it, I don't understand the problem.

Quote:
Its like comparing Turn Based RPGs and Action RPGs. They both RPGs at its core, but both have their own specific rules and gimmicks and one is not better than the other.
Well, I don't agree. On the general comparison. Adding one dimension to a fighting game doesn't make it something else entirely, I don't think.

Quote:
I could rant for hours about how ****** MK11 story is...but I just say: it sucks major ass.

It retcons a lot of ****, it introduces countless amount of plotholes and questions in regards to previously established characters and lore. And, of course, it ***** all over character progress.

**** that trash and people who wrote it. After this game I've lost interest in MK story and possibly MK overall. The fact that gameplay sucked ass as well (IMO) doesn't help.
I'm just curious. What were the things that bothered you the most? You're more invested in MK than me, but me as someone coming into MK11 after not playing any MK in a long time... MK11's core story was OK enough, but toward the end and then going into the "Aftermath," it really became like bad fanfiction.

Quote:
MK Gold and in general MK4 were undercooked and essentially still 2D fighting games with 3D gimmicks thrown here and there.
I guess that's right. Again, the fighting with the Run button to sidestep feels super inorganic and cumbersome and often times just plain doesn't work. Though I do appreciate them trying to join the 3D fighting game field without radically jarring gamers.

Quote:
Its quite similar in concept to Street Fighter EX series, except SFEX still had quality Street Fighter gameplay and variety, something that classic MK were not known for.
Meh. SF EX, like SF4 and SF5, is just another 2D game cloaked with 3D graphics and characters. There is no sidestepping or anything new, just ugly polygons, even by the standards of when it came out. I think they thought Virtua Fighter represented the future, and they were right in a way... but for the wrong reasons. IMO.

Quote:
Weird argument to make against 2D fighting games. This days, pretty every genre can be played on mobile. Does it mean that most of those genres are bad or outdated?
It probably wasn't a good argument for me to make. Obviously even a 2D fighting game with more than 2 buttons is going to be incredibly hard to play on a phone.

My general point was just that 2D fighters are simpler. And by simpler I don't mean DRASTICALLY simpler, I just mean unnecessarily so. And while you may be right that Akuma may represent an unfair character in Tekken 7 for the reasons you give (I'm not sure, I'll take your word for it), I see it as both proof positive that 2D fighters like MK and SF could integrate 3D fighting fairly simply... if every character is handled like Akuma in Tekken 7. If you take my meaning.

And also, again, DC Universe vs. MK. I've brought this up before, but I have nothing but awesome and fond memories of it. Particularly in that all of the MK characters operated perfectly fine in the 3D gaming there, while the moves still executed basically the same as 1-3 (more or less). Do you disagree there? Or if I were to word it differently... what do you feel DC Universe vs. MK took away from the previously traditional MK 2D experience (and by traditional MK 2D experience I mean the traditional MK 2D experience that was 5 games ago at that point), if anything? Because for me, as you might imagine, my big gripe was "Mortal Kombat with no blood or real Fatalities?!?! How dumb!" but beyond that... it really did feel like a proper MK game, just with some DC characters in it.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 05-08-2021 at 05:23 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote