View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #13
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
I feel bad for anyone in comics right now because the state of the industry isn't really their fault. It's like an oil tanker that is heading into a reef, the rudders are unresponsive and the captain jumped overboard hours ago. Those ladies are just the next in line to stand on the bridge and hope for the best.
Prominent Marvel writers having meltdowns on social media over the last few years isn't so great for their corporate image, either.

I've been reading some back issues of the Miles Morales Spider-Man and some of the new Ms. Marvel, along with Civil War II, which I actually somewhat enjoyed. Even the current run on She-Hulk, which has been a radical departure from what people are used to seeing from her, has had some good moments. With the exception of Ironheart, who feels like a bad fanfiction character, the "replacements" aren't so bad, really, even for someone like me who doesn't care much for the regressive Left. But I also know when I'm being pandered to, and I feel it is an insult to people's intelligence.

All this political back and forth is bad for the industry and bad for the characters. I also wish they'd reduce the number of ongoing series to focus on the narratives, and stop the decompressed storytelling. I didn't appreciate the new She-Hulk until I read the first trade of it; some of these arcs just work better as novel-length adventures.

In the 60s, you had Spider-Man, Thor, The Avengers, the FF, and and the X-Men, along with solo series for Hulk and Dr. Strange, right? That's maybe seven series to follow, if not much more than that? At the moment, Marvel has seventy-three ongoing series.

If only they'd make the monthlies more accessible to new people/normies/MCU fans while crafting OGNs for the hardcore crowd. They'd probably make more money that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.

Last edited by Spike Spiegel; 11-28-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote