View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022, 02:29 AM   #59
Mayhem
Foot Elite

I'll just throw in the note that the people who are white supremasists tend to be the least supreme beings...

As for left versus right, we don't see that hugely here, mostly because religion doesn't influence policy that much, compared to the US whereas it's the beacon of all things. Even though in my experience, and other people I know who are religious but not followers of organised churches, that the most loud Christians bashing the book tend to be the ones least following the teaching. As soon as you point that out, they start screeching you've called them out on their hypocracy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
That's very interesting if true, as Over Here they teach you the opposite. From pretty much First Grade on, they teach in American History that the Church of England was oppressive and archaic and that more free-spirited people uprooted and came over here so they could be as religious or not as they felt like.
Much available to Google, but this short extract from the TV show QI (which does its utter best through detailed and comprehensive historial research to correct widely held misconceptions under the section heading of "General Ignorance") noted...

"The story of the American Pilgrim Fathers is a complete fabrication. They did not land on Plymouth Rock, but in Provincetown, Massachusetts; they did not sail on the Mayflower; and they did not flee from religious persecution. In fact, they wanted to carry out religious persecution, and create a country in which there could be no dissent from Puritanism. They hated the religious freedoms in England. In 1660 Puritans hanged a woman, Mary Dyer, for being a Quaker."