View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #70
Leo656
The Franchise

Truthfully, if we're being entirely honest, there probably never should have been Thanagarians. That's where things got mucked up in the first place.

In the Golden Age everything was tied back to the mystical Egyptian Hawk Gods or some such, and while a bit "out there" it was fine. Mummy movies were in fashion and there was a bit of a fascination going on with the "exotic" ancient Egyptian culture, and at least it was rather unique as super-hero origins go. Fast forward to the 60s, all of that stuff was Out and Sci-Fi was In, so now it wasn't anything to do with Ancient Gods, at least not directly, but instead it was aliens. Just like every other super-hero. They pulled the MCU "There aren't gods, just hyper-advanced aliens who more ignorant people merely thought of as gods" angle half a century before Marvel did it. And sure, it was a more grounded explanation, BUT it was also the first crack in the story and all the other problems grew out of that very first hairline fracture.

THEN much later on they tried to combine it all so that the mythos involved BOTH actual Egyptian Gods and high-tech space aliens, and jumping through tons of hoops trying to explain THAT sh*t, and how the Thanagarians were actually the reason the ancient Egyptians had their entire culture and blah blah blah blah blah blah BLAH. And THEN in the late-80s you had TWO conflicting versions of Thanagar appearing in print at the same time once "Hawkworld", which was SUPPOSED to be a non-canon Elseworlds tale, sold too many copies and thus retroactively BECAME canon just because it was financially successful, and oh boy did that cause even MORE problems. Now the Hawkman in the JLA isn't "really" Hawkman and he's an impostor and we're only up to 1988 and it's already a complete lost cause.

If anything, they should have been forced to pick ONE version of the origin and stick to it. It's either Egyptian Gods OR it's space aliens. You CAN'T do both at the same time and have it make any sense. They've been trying it that way for over 30 years, putting a "But what about Reincarnation?" band-aid on it because lord knows THAT simplifies things.

I know Thanagar as a thing has become a big part of the DCU mythos over the years, but really, there's already too many super-heroes who have a watered-down version of Superman's origin story, and that's really all it is when you get down to it. "Alien who'd be a Normie on his own planet comes to Earth where he has extra powers and becomes a Big Huge Deal." It's different, but fundamentally it's the same.

One could argue that being literally blessed by ancient Egyptian gods is even sillier, and that's a fair point, but at least it's something different. If I were given the pen and told, "Fix Hawkman", I'd have to subscribe to KISS Theory: "Keep It Simple, Stupid", and take it all the way back to Square One, where an archaeologist merely stumbled upon some cool toys in a pyramid one day and now he's a super-hero. It never needed to be any more complicated than that.

One could very strongly argue that the creation of Thanagar ended up causing a lot more problems than it ever solved. Thus, one has to wonder if it's even necessary, or just hanging around because it's been there so long by now that deleting it would make everything worse.

It's a shame. I like Hawkman. "In Theory". But Christ, he's such a goddamn mess I don't see how anyone could ever get into him. The entire Hawk mythos is just a tangled web of nonsense with every attempt at resolution or clarification only creating ten more problems.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote