View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #42
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
My first memory of TMNT was watching a repeat of the FW episode The Incredible Shrinking Turtles back in 1989 on Going Live I think. I don't think it was Return of the Shredder. Was a fan ever since.
A pretty good episode, the turtles vs Shredder fight was just fantastic while the Splinter vs Shredder fight in the cheese factory was a lot of fun as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Can I ask considering your contemporary series was the 2003 one what made you go for a more outdated series as your favourite?
It comes down to a multitude of factors, but the most key reasons I can think of are:

1. I grew up watching many of the serious cartoons in the mid 2000s such as Teen Titans, Tmnt 2003, Justice League etc. So when my interest in tmnt was revitalized during the Nick era, and I checked out the FW cartoon, I found it to break every cliche that I had to come expect from watching those serious mid-2000s toons, and that honestly made me enjoy the cartoon all the more (such as having the villains be so funny and likeable while still being threatening).

2. All the more, the cartoon managed to stay so funny most of the time without going into gag territory, which I really admire. It can be admittedly hard to nail the balance of creating a grounded world with rules, while keeping a show really fun, and that is something that the FW toon nails perfectly (aside from fourth wall gag breaks, which despite being really funny, are the one part of the FW toon that require a serious suspension of disbelief, even compared to everything else the show had to offer).

3. Many things about the FW toon just stuck out to me alot more than the 2k3 one. The colours are much more abundant in the FW toon rather than being a world of dark and dul colours like the 2k3 one (a lot of the time), the music is much more booming in the FW toon, the voice performances are much more memorable, the concepts of the 80s toon (such as the technodrome, the rock soldiers and Krang), stayed in my head longer than any of the concepts that I first discovered through the 2k3 toon.

4. The 80s-90s aesthetics, such as the dated animation, the outdated slang and catchphrases, all just served to make the cartoon more memorable and "retro", that would make me feel nostalgic for it, despite not having grown up with it.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote