View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 04:01 AM   #410
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
No, it absolutely does not mean that. It only means that some people are totally blinded by nostalgia, and refuse to accept that things they liked when they were six are not good by default just BECAUSE they liked it when they were six.

I could never be half as thorough as neatoman has often been as to explaining the many, many, many, MANY objective and very real flaws in that cartoon, from occasional garbage writing to constant animation errors. These things don't disappear because "we were kids and kids don't care." It only means that the people who made the show aimed rather low and settled for very little. I don't hate the show as much as neatoman does, but he's never told a lie insofar as any of the shows flaws. They're not subjective criticisms, what's subjective is whether or not an individual chooses to overlook them or not.

And it absolutely is the audience's fault we get stuck with FW rehashed. They were given multiple better examples of how TMNT should be done. 4Kids was objectively a much better cartoon in every way, and only people who think "TMNT should always be silly" would say it wasn't. And then there's the 1990 movie, by and large the single highest point the entire franchise ever reached and what every iteration after that SHOULD try to be. Some would say Mirage falls into that category as well, and I won't fight them even though to me Mirage was dry as a rice cracker. Point is, we've had quite a few examples by now of much better TMNT iterations. The first one (for most people, since nobody ever heard of Mirage back then) isn't "the best" JUST because it was first. It was simply first. Standards have gone up since 1987, or SHOULD have.

It was one of the best cartoon shows of its era, sure. But that hardly says a lot when even the best of that era was, objectively, mostly-junk.

But it IS the audience's fault that only FW "matters". They've been given better options. They collectively CHOOSE to wallow in nostalgia like a pig in sh*t. And in turn, we're all forced to roll in it with them, or else quit following the franchise. That's hardly fair.

Not everyone is still 6 in their mind. Those of us who grew up deserve more than reheated leftovers. Yeah, we all thought the pizza sh*t was funny at that age. Some of them ate boogers, too; should we just go ahead and put THAT on the menu, or can we admit that grown-ups are supposed to have better taste than young children do?

It's an okay show. By 1980s standards, it squeaks into being "good" despite its flaws. But those flaws are very real and very numerous.

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with still liking things you liked as a kid. However, when it gets to a point where someone is claiming, "This thing is STILL the best thing EVAR, and also, EVERYTHING should be like this!" then that person is not living in Reality.
Once again, audience is not at fault here - if 2k3 hasn't become a cultural milestone like FW series, than there was something wrong with it. I adore this show and consider it to be the best (serious) TMNT series ever, but, if it didn't sit well with people...well, it means something went wrong here.

Also, how come all this different versions of Batman manage to stuck with people and each and every manages to find its fans, without stepping on each other toes? By your own logic, people should be in love with "dark grim Batman" from Burton movies, since this is where most nostalgia supposed to reside. Or Batman TAS, yet, a lot of people love newer versions of Batman.

It seems, at some point you just need let go the notion, that "audience is wrong, I am right". You can have your own opinion all you want, but the objective reality, if something is good, audience will love it as well. It is similar to how many of the TMNT copycats were around the time (including real cats), but how many of them have become anywhere near as popular as TMNT? Basically none, even though in some aspects they could have been better.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote