View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #45
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I think I've said this before and call me crazy but... I've always felt TMNT and Sailor Moon shared a few core similarities. Of course there's lots of differences between both, but I see some similarities:

- The main characters start off as teenagers. The girls in Sailor Moon are about 14-15 when the whole thing begins;

- Both properties start off as comic books, but they only become mainstream when their first animation series' come out;

- The first animated series of both properties still remain their most popular incarnations/peak of the properties popularity;

- The main characters differ a bit in personality in the first animated series compared to their source material. In the case of TMNT, Raphael is radically different in the FW series from Mirage Raph. In the case of Sailor Moon, Rei Hino/Sailor Mars is also pretty different in the 90s anime series from her manga version. In the manga she is serious, calm and collected and doesn't let any man get close to her, really. In the anime she is more hyper, temperamental and boy crazy. And also bickers with Usagi/Sailor Moon while in the manga they're fine with each other and Rei bickers with Minako/Venus instead... reminds me of Raph and Mike somewhat.

- Comparison between characters:

Donatello - Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury - Both are tech savy and nerds
Michelangelo - Minako Aino/Sailor Venus - Both are good fighters but also immature and love video games and are kinda airheaded/scatterbrained
Raphael - First anime version of Sailor Mars/Rei Hino - Both are kinda temperamental and. Rei is also a bit antisocial and distant in the manga just like Raph is in many versions.
Leonardo - Eh... tough one here. The leader of the group is Usagi/Moon and she certainly isn't similar to Leonardo. Minako/Venus technically qualifies as a leader as well and she's quite different from him as well. I guess Rei/Mars would be close considering she's the most stereotypically Japanese of the girls.

Ofc both properties are quite different overall and there's no such thing as perfect comparisons. I'm not saying they're carbon copies of each other by any means, but there's some similarities, imo.
I’ve seen people in Gargoyles fanfiction compair the Gargs to the Turtles. This normally happens in self insert fics where the author of the piece inserts themselves as characters in their own fic and encounter the Manhattan Clan. When that happens it one of two things occur.

The first is the Self insert character knowing the Gargoyles Clan on sight and saying “Oh yeah there is actually a cartoon about you guys” or they are compaired to the Ninja Turtles or both.

Both groups consist of all Males, there is a wise master type and four younger ones. A female friend who fights along side them and is at times used to bait them out. Another male friend who also becomes part of the group. And like later versions of the Turtles there is a female member of the team added, and evil clones of the main characters. Both groups have had people whose lives have been greatly and unfortunately altered either directly or indirectly because of the main characters so they blame everything that happened to them on group inquestion. Both groups have encountered villains that want to hurt them or the world around them because it gives them a sense of retribution. While in reality they are only authoring their own misery. Friends who become enemies and vice verse. Other villains who seek to use them for their own ends. And villains who seek to kill them just because they exist. Also both groups live in New York. And in the case of Bronx, Cagney, and Klunk/Ice Cream Kitty, Spike, and Chompy both groups have pets of some sort.

I believe Greg Weisman also was aware of the comparison between the Gargoyles and TMNT so he said something about the Gargs liking any sort of food except Pizza.

Personality wise I guess you can say Splinter and Hudson could relate since they are the old masters. They occasionally come on battles but most of the time sit in their respective lairs and watch TV or bits of wisdom.

Leonardo can be comparible to Goliath. As they both are leaders of their respective groups and do have a high value in honor towards ones family and the world around them. But I feel Goliath may find that Leo still does have a lot to learn about being a leader in some cases. Mainly because Leo is still young and at times pushes his beliefs on his brothers which causes them to not take his leadership seriously. Where as Goliath is older (He’s roughly in his 30/40’s in human years and was in his late teens to twenties when he was first appointed as leader.) and from another time.

Brooklyn I guess he could be comparible to Raph as they are both are wise cracking hot heads of their respective groups. And they have a think for motor I’d say that Brooklyn is closer to Leonardo in that he is placed in a position that he feels honored to be in. But he doubts how effective he actually is as a leader when he is actually in a leadership role after Goliath, Bronx, and Elisa disappear. Much like how Leo does occasionally doubt himself as a leader.

Broadway is close to Mikey in that they are the Chefs of their families. Broadway isn’t obsessed with food to the same extent Mikey is with Pizza. But both do have a well meaning hearts and are less narrow minded then their companions about some things.

Lexington would is kinda like Donatello in that they are both the tech wizards of the group. And the others do depend on them both to bypass security or come up with solutions to problems with electronics. Though Lexington isn’t really a genius in the same way that Donnie is. Lex is also the youngest member of the Gargoyles and as such has his moments where he isn’t taken seriously by his rookery brothers. So that could be something he can sympathize with Mikey.
But his youth does make him rather nieve (After all New Friend Old Enemy was almost a beat for beat copy of Thrill of the Hunt) though unlike Mikey he does let his grudges against people get to him.