View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 01:11 AM   #109
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
You want to know what Fat-Shaming is?
Fat-Shaming is the assumption that every overweight person is that way because they're lazy. Because they only sit in their basement playing video games. That they lack social skills.
I never argued that every fat person is fat for that reason. However, it's obvious that Timothy is. Fat isn't his only; maybe not even main problem, but it's indicative that he doesn't have the work ethic he needs; as is his buffoonish, self-important attitude.

Quote:
Fat-Shaming is the assumption that you can't be loved or love until you can ruck a marathon. Just one more crunch or push up and maybe, just maybe you'll earn the right to be a full-fledged human being in the eyes of those around you.

You might not call it shame, but that's exactly what it is.
And it's gross, as are the people who perpetuate that mindset.
Maybe, but I never went nearly that far; nor did the show.

Quote:
As I said before, the argument could be made that Nick TMNT participates in fat-shaming.
A simple: No, I don't know that it does because not every fat person on the show is like that
Would have ended the conversation. Any argument can be made, but not any argument can be supported intelligently.

But instead what we got in this thread was a bunch of people supporting the thesis. That Timothy's weight was indicative of his character. That he's fat to showcase his laziness. How could someone fat be a hero?! What a laugh!

It's gross.
You are twisting my words. A fat person can be a hero of sorts, certainly. He can be a good lawyer who saves you in court. He can be a politician who passed laws that help you. He can be a good father.

But sorry, no; he should not be an in-the-field soldier. He's too pudgy to move easily; let alone stealthily, and the question as to whether his being fat is indicative of his laziness is pointless, because all things about him point to that. He's enthusiastic; yes, but he's a fanboy with no realistic view of what this sort of thing takes. I do not know why this is seen as a bad impression on children, and honestly, the theory that he's fat because he's lazy is a lot more pleasant to children than that he just has very bad genes; as the former is seen as surmountable.

I mean, for Lord Simultaneous's sakes, what the shell is next? Whining about negative portrayal of smokers and alcoholics, and that it isn't their fault and they're still good people, which somehow negates that? That's what's gross.

Quote:
I don't have to be able to take ten flights of stairs without getting winded to have healthy self-esteem. Nor should I.

I eat healthy, I bike and walk everywhere because I choose not to own a car, and I'm still overweight. Obese if the BMI chart is to be trusted. All this: but but but...you're unhealthy! Think of the children! It's not shame it's realism! Is nothing but concern trolling. And it's gross.
Well I'm sorry to hear your predicament, but that doesn't give you an excuse to to condemn people for railing against the genuine but preventable obesity "epidemic" infecting many children. It's bad enough that TV geared towards them is constantly whetting their appetite for unhealthy food; we can't stand to lose the occasional cartoon with an anti-obesity message. Again, this may be a part of some people's genetic identity, but for far more people, it's something they just picked up from something they've encountered, like a drug habit or a rash. It's not something to embrace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
... what, so people who don't fit a certain standard of attractiveness don't deserve to have relationships? A person's personality means nothing if they're not thin? Dude, I'm sorry, but that's way out - I can't get behind that.
You don't have to. It's every person's choice what he or she is attracted to. However, as harsh as it is, people need to realize that none of them are ever owed a relationship. If they're fat, and they find someone who likes/tolerates fat people, well lucky them, but it shouldn't surprise them if they don't, and at some point, if they're serious about wanting a partner, they should resolve to work on their figure instead of weeping about how shallow people are. You once again put words in my mouth with this "personality doesn't matter" business--of course it does. But what someone chooses based on how others feel is a big part of personality, and those choices can be both mental and physical. Choosing to exercise, choosing to wash, choosing not to pick your nose or fart in public, choosing not to throw temper tantrums at trivial things; all of these are choices that can make life easier for people who want a relationship.

Quote:
People come in all different shapes and sizes.
And they also change them to others. You simply cannot stress the "this is part of being a special snowflake" argument too far.

Quote:
Even if you started promoting a more muscular beauty standard, that's no different than the sizeism that we've currently got at work here - and given that huge numbers of men are falling victim to eating disorders due to the current media obsession with muscled men, I really don't see how that wouldn't be harmful.
My suggestion of a muscular ideal was not really in reference to an unrealistic, statuesque physique that requires more effort than most are willing to put in. The word I used was "medium"; a functional body. I don't think too many people would go overboard trying to be medium, and less people would feel ashamed by such an ideal, too.

Quote:
Nobody's saying that all fat people are healthy, or that everyone suddenly has to get a boner over fatties. I'm not saying that at all. But vice versa, not all fat people are unhealthy, and fat itself is not an indication of laziness or a lack of self respect.
It's more accurate to say that not all fat is bad. Bodies need some of it to perform vital functions. A layer of it is there to protect the heart. However, get it too much, and there is no dancing around the hazards. As it gets heavier, that fat layer over the heart doesn't merely protect it anymore; it subjects it to risk. That a fat person may be able to do some other physical tasks well does not negate that anatomical factor. You need fat for many athletic endeavors, but past a certain point, you're stabbing yourself.

Quote:
You can feed two people the exact same diet with the exact same exercise and they're not going to be the same weight.
So what? I already acknowledged multiple things in relation to that in past posts; such as that weight is not necessarily fat, and for genuine bad chemistry, there are medical solutions. If people have value for their health and one method fails, try another, but do something.

Quote:
This conversation is getting seriously depressing.
This conversation was depressing from the start. Seriously; this has First-World problem written all over it in lard. People are starving in many parts of the world that never see obesity, and here, there are people whining about shaming it? I'm appalled. You people who think fat is part of what defines who you are, look around you. This is a result of a manufactured, spoiled society where you have the luxury to do that. There's no heroic individuality there; just taking from the trough on easy street. I'm done. In the words of one famous fat man, "You know what grinds my gears? You, America! **** You!"

Last edited by Konchadunga; 06-24-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote