View Single Post
Old 08-31-2021, 04:58 PM   #2615
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
There just isn't enough going on with the vintage design to make for a good deluxe version in 2021. It was a bland design in 87, it's still a bland design (same goes for Shredder).
Respect to your opinion, and I've heard many say something similar, effectively, "the original April was bad and had little paint, and this figure is drawing from the original, so it's intentionally and correctly bad and has little paint." The logic, for me, breaks down because this line isn't just a 1:1 recreation of the original figures. It's an improvement and re-interpretation of and inspired by those original designs. If a figure was bad as a $3.00 toy in the 80s or 90s, that's not an excuse for it to be a bad $55.00 adult collector item inspired by that toy in the 2020s. take the essence of that overly simplistic, bad april figure from the 80s and make it something actually cool. make it more detailed, give texture and draping to the fabric of the clothes. paint little details in, like pockets, zippers, cuffs, etc. sculpt in new additions like tiny tears in the fabric. there's so much potential. that's the whole point of the line. those defending it saying it's just staying true to the original figure come across as trying to defend a purchase that maybe they subconsciously regret. but that's just my take.

genuinely, if you enjoy the figure, i'm glad, and i hope you continue to enjoy it. but for me, it doesn't reach my bar for quality.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote