View Single Post
Old 03-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Gameplay time tracking in systems/platforms

Nowadays people talk about how many hours they've spent on a particular game more than ever, since more systems and games began keeping track of your gameplay time.

I really loved the 3DS Activity Log app. It was so detailed. It would tell you not just the total amount of time you spent on each software, but also the first time you first played it, how many times you opened it and it would log every single day you'd play it. You can go check the calendar by year, month, week or even by day and you'll be able to know what games you've played on, let's say, February 8 2015 and how much time you spent on each game.

Sadly the Switch didn't bring the Activity Log back. The data isn't anywhere near as precise. And it doesn't show every single game in a drop down list like the 3DS does. I've sunk more than 100 hours in the FFX HD remake, but it doesn't show on my activity anymore because I haven't played that game for nearly a year now.

The closest thing the Switch has to the 3DS Activity Log is the parental control app, but it's still not as precise.

Steam isn't as detailed as the 3ds either, but still will tell you how many hours you've spent on each game and show you the full list. So I like their system too.

This might seem like nitpicking, but I do think the 3DS Activity Log was perfect and it should have become the standard for every gaming system. What sense did it make for Nintendo to take a step back on this with a Switch?

Thoughts?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote