View Single Post
Old 04-10-2021, 06:03 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Hah, I remember there was going to be All-Star Batgirl and All-Star Wonder Woman, too. All of that got "Noped" pretty early. Probably for the best, I suppose.

I think the fact that All-Star Superman very directly contradicts just about every other Modern Age Superman story in both Plot and Tone does plenty by itself to disconnect it from being canon with anything else. There is absolutely zero chance that any of the Byrne/Jurgens/Stern/etc. stories happened in the same universe as All-Star. No chance. It's like trying to retrofit Adam West's Batman TV show into the Denny O'Neil/Chuck Dixon/Jim Starlin Batman universe and saying it's the same character. Clearly, it isn't.

The only thing that even links All-Star to DC One Million is the whole "Superman's inside the Sun" thing, and even Morrison admitted that was more or less just a self-indulgent thing so that if a person WANTED to pretend the two stories were connected, you can, because there's that one thread. But that's literally all it is, is one thread. The two stories are otherwise pretty contradictory; DC One Million actually represents the mainstream DC canon pretty strongly, as it was indeed written to be a very likely Possible Future. Whereas All-Star Superman was explicitly written to be nothing but a standalone out-of-continuity Superman story in which Grant could indulge his every whim about what he loves about the character without restrictions.

If All-Star was written to be anything besides "Grant Morrison Canon", he absolutely would have made a lot of very different choices. As it is, it doesn't fit into anything else because it simply wasn't designed to.

Refresh my memory, but weren't the Future Supermans of DC One Million Clark's direct descendants? I think they were supposed to be, but I forget if that was explicitly stated. Well, by the time he sent himself into the sun at the end of All-Star, he and Lois had no kids. So therefore, the two stories aren't "canon" with each other, it's just a winking homage from one of Grant's stories to another one.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote