View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023, 07:00 PM   #27
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I don't need to defend anything - FW cartoon remembered by pretty much everyone, while most other things TMNT are mostly forgotten.
Drink water - it removes salt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
Nope. Anyone born this side of the millennium is going to be way more familiar with the 2012 or Rise cartoons. Heck, even the official TMNT reddit is basically made up of 2k3 fanboys.
Yes, I'm kind of tired of needing to explain this, but yes. The whole "everyone remembers it" is a bullshit argument on so many levels.
  1. As hypered1 pointed out, the people who "remember" the show tend to have been born in the 80's, very rarely is it "remembered" by anyone born before or after 80's. It really just applies to people who grew up with it when it was airing, it really doesn't have much sway with anyone else and people are generally more likely to be fond of whatever version they happened to grow up with.
  2. Even in that group, it's still a minority who remember the show accurately. Most people I talk to about it in real life don't tend to be aware that it was on for as long as it was, they can't even recall the plots of a few episodes. One guy I met was even convinced Bebop and Rocksteady started out as animals. It's more accurate to say people remember that it was a fad or that they have a hazy idea of what the show was like, not that it's in anyway immortalised for what it really was.
  3. And even if we do pretend that it really is remembered and enjoyed by everyone, that nobody cares about any TMNT material released before or since, so what? There are plenty of just awful movies and television shows out there that enjoy a large fanbase, they are not immune to criticism and neither is the Fred Wolf show. The flaws of the show are still there, no matter how many people "love" the show.

It's an appeal to popularity fallacy, one made worse by the popularity being a mere shadow cast from former spotlight, rather than the result of active fanbase.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote