View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

This April did not work for me whatsoever, but not because they made her black. However, the way they handled that did give pause.

I would imagine I probably have no place to say so, pardon any unintended ignorance, but this April felt like a very over the top stereotype of what white people who know no better peripherally think black women are like. I've had this conversation with a few black women I'm acquainted with & they said the same, although obviously that's not representative of everyone's opinion. I dunno. I know she was voiced by a woman of color but April's portrayal here was a little sketchy to me.

Beyond that, it was her bad attitude & overpowered fighting capability that ruined the character for me. April should never be so involved in combat, let alone constantly saving the day, or besting & even bullying the turtles themselves. I realize all characters were played up to extremes for laughs, but while most were altered a bit to feel fresh & new, everyone short of April retained enough of their original qualities to meet my personal satisfaction. If she had gone by another name, I'd likely have been a lot less critical.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote