The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
TMNT: Challenges, "what's in it"?

I'm voraciously looking for more material I can add to the Mirage Continuity Timeline, and that mostly involves seeking out the various short stories published all over the place. I found this at the main site:

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/comics/b...challenges.htm

So I ask to anyone who owns it, what short stories are published? Any new material or is it just older short stories reprinted in a collection?

Any help would be fantastic.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
it's an all new tale by Michael Dooney. Sorry would say more but I'm in a hurry but I'm sure some one else like Rose would like to jump right in and tell you more.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Hahaha, here I am.

Challenges is honestly one of the single best TMNT books a person can own; even the people who don't read the comics should have this.

There are six short stories:
Origin story
Splinter
Raphael
Michaelangelo
Leonardo
Donatello

Raph's story was actually adapted into one of the 2K3 episodes (where he helps the blind lady move boxes in her apartment).

With the exception of Raph's story, all of them take place in Northampton.

It's actually an award-winning book, although I don't have the name of the award off the top of my head.

Seriously, everyone MUST own this!!
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Great, thanks!

Looks like I'm going to have to brave the horrors of eBay.


EDIT:
Just got a new, never read copy for $16.95 (and that's with shipping).

Not bad, though I probably won't receive it for about a month.

Last edited by DrSpengler; 06-09-2007 at 03:06 PM.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Or you could get it from Mirage.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Mirage was very nice to me when I originally ordered Challenges about... jeeze... 10 years ago. I ordered the softcover, but they sent the signed hardcover.

Great comic/anthology.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Rassafracken...

Ah well, at least I'm still gettin' one.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Rassafracken...

Ah well, at least I'm still gettin' one.
You know I don't order from them either I would if they had an online store...it's really something they should look into.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #9
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
I have ordered from Mirage before when I was finishing up my collection. They're not bad to deal with, but it just took a very, very, VERY long time to get my comics. I know it's only, like, a 2-man operation up there in Northampton, but damn, it took over a month to get my stuff.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!
 
Buslady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In 7803...
Posts: 4,366
challenges is cool. it's small format, has some really cute short stories. my favorite is the one about raph pissing of splinter just so the guys can see if he's still got it. i love that one
of course mrs morrison and her kitty, i love that one. doy...hehe..
well worth it.
__________________
Buslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I have ordered from Mirage before when I was finishing up my collection. They're not bad to deal with, but it just took a very, very, VERY long time to get my comics. I know it's only, like, a 2-man operation up there in Northampton, but damn, it took over a month to get my stuff.
Only a month? When I was ordering from them semi-regularly in the early-mid 90s, it typically took at least three months to get my stuff. I didn't have my own bank account yet, so my mom was the one who would send the checks for me. "Is the check cashed yet, mom?" "Nope..." Oh, but what a wonderful day it was when that package finally came. The last time I ordered from them was for the Donatello statue, which actually showed up pretty quickly.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I have ordered from Mirage before when I was finishing up my collection. They're not bad to deal with, but it just took a very, very, VERY long time to get my comics. I know it's only, like, a 2-man operation up there in Northampton, but damn, it took over a month to get my stuff.
I was talking about them having like an online store or selling things on ebay like they did with the statues and figures.
I think they would make allot more that way to be honest.
I've never ordered anything from them sadly because I don't own a printer.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #13
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Only a month? When I was ordering from them semi-regularly in the early-mid 90s, it typically took at least three months to get my stuff. I didn't have my own bank account yet, so my mom was the one who would send the checks for me. "Is the check cashed yet, mom?" "Nope..." Oh, but what a wonderful day it was when that package finally came. The last time I ordered from them was for the Donatello statue, which actually showed up pretty quickly.
The motto "If it's not late, it's not Mirage" seems to have seeped into every aspect of their business.

Still, at least they offer the service, and I'd rather buy directly from the source and ensure that I company I like gets my money than some dude on eBay.

This time around I hadn't even bothered to check Mirage's store for Challenges because I felt so sure they wouldn't have it. I'll know better from now on.

Last edited by DrSpengler; 06-09-2007 at 06:05 PM.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #14
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
This time around I hadn't even bothered to check Mirage's store for Challenges because I felt so sure they wouldn't have it. I'll no better from now on.
I dunno why, but I have the feeling they have piles of them. Michael Dooney was a Comic-Con a few years ago and he had a couple boxes and was just handing 'em out.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I have ordered from Mirage before when I was finishing up my collection. They're not bad to deal with, but it just took a very, very, VERY long time to get my comics. I know it's only, like, a 2-man operation up there in Northampton, but damn, it took over a month to get my stuff.
I just placed an order with Katie last week. Between my phone call and when they arrived was 3 business days.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #16
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
So you placed it over the phone?

I did it ye olde fashioned way, with a mail-order form and a personal check.

But even by those standards, it took forever.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #17
Scandia
Mad Scientist
 
Scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
I ordered from Mirage. My check has been cashed. But I have not gotten my comics yet. It is within the time period they stated, though.
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
So you placed it over the phone?
Yeah, just gave CC over the phone. I imagine if you send them a check they wait 3-10 business days after they deposit it before they send it to you... standard practice to prevent bouncing or whatnot.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #19
Time Mistress
Stone Warrior
 
Time Mistress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennshellvania, or the 79th level of Null-Time
Posts: 710
I have Challenges. Great little book.

I've ordered from Mirage before over the phone, my comics came within a few weeks, very promptly.
__________________
AKA the Edwardian Adventuress and Fairlady_Z



"You just made your last mistake, Bugeyes -- 'cuz nobody beats up my best buddy and gets away with it -- Nobody! Got that?!"
Raphael about Michaelangelo, TMNT Volume 1
Time Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #20
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Can anyone tell me if this book is standard size or if it is a mini-comic?

Also, I take it there are both hardback and softcover printings?
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.