The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2014, 02:40 AM   #21
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Well as I've said several times that I feel April is a Mary Sue, I guess it behooves me to weigh in here. Now, after reading everyone else's thoughts on the matter, it's entirely possible that I'm being a bit harsh; so these are just my opinions only and I'm definitely not saying that I'm right and everyone else is wrong.

To me, April really began coming off as a Sue - or at least Sue-ish - once we hit Season 2. The reason I feel that way is that we never see her experiencing any negative consequences or real problems. She's smart, attractive, we certainly don't get the impression that she's a loner at school. I feel like for most of this season, the vast majority of her interactions have been with either the two guys who're crushing on her (Donnie and Casey), or with Splinter who seems to view her as a surrogate daughter and trains her as a kunoichi. The only exception to this is Irma, who she keeps ditching and allowing Casey to insult at every turn.

In the first season, we had April showing Mikey how to surf the web, we had Leo coming to her to talk about meeting Karai. In Season 2, we haven't had those kind of moments.

That, combined with the continuing Kraang plot, finding out that she's a mutant with psychic powers - and absolutely zero negative consequences because of that, are really giving me a Special Snowflake Syndrome vibe.

We're not seeing her suffering from headaches or hallucinations as a result of her psychic powers. She's not a social pariah. Arguably the only problems that she consistently experiences are:

1) her father disappearing and mutating, however we never see any real emotional devastation in regards to this, let alone problems with having to explain what happened to him, how she explains this to her aunt, problems with the police over his repeated disappearances, problems with her aunt/hiding secrets from her aunt, her crying at night because she misses her dad, etc etc; and

2) the Kraang constantly trying to kidnap her, but as she's always rescued by the Turtles anyway, this doesn't feel like a negative consequence so much as a plot device.

Once her old man does get demutated, everything's back to normal. He doesn't freak out and forbid her to see the Turtles anymore. She doesn't appear to be suffering under the weight of hiding the Turtles' secret. Furthermore, she doesn't really seem to have any major flaws or weaknesses.

Anyway, those're just my thoughts - I hope I haven't upset anybody; as I said, it's solely my interpretation of what we've seen and is by no means the Universal Truth of the character.

By the technical definition of the term, she doesn't fill the criteria for being a true Sue - however I do feel that she seems to have a lot of perks and not many downsides.

Once again, hope this didn't make anybody mad as that's not my intent!
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Tags
april o'neil


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.