The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2014, 04:10 AM   #1
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Why are the turtles so important to us? How have they managed to turn our heads?

I'm heading out to play soccer soon, but I thought I might post this topic first. Hopefully it will generate some thoughtful discussion for me to read when I return in a few hours.

I must say that I think about this a lot and I still can't really come up with a satisfactory answer. It's obviously a combination of things - a plexus of different factors which come together to create this unique and wonderful franchise.

Most of us became hooked on the FW series, but it's more than that. There's clearly something of more substance there otherwise we'd have forgotten about the turtles years ago. There's depth to the turtles - it's not a shallow property. But why do we care so much?

I can't really say why the turtles matters so much to me. The turtles and the supporting characters (but primarily the guys themselves) have simply made an everlasting impression on me. I care about them almost as if they are real and not fictional - in brief moments I will remember that they don't really exist, that they have never existed and - most importantly - that they could never exist, and I find myself disappointed. Disappointed that I will never know them. This seems like a very strange way of thinking and I'm thinking that I might be judged for saying so - even here amongst people who 'get' the turtles like I do. But it's how I feel... there's no point sugar-coating it.

The FW series, Mirage, 4kids, the original film, TMNT, the games, hopefully Archie in future etc. I care about it all and would never want to be without it. I enjoy other properties e.g. Batman, Breaking Bad, Star Wars. I know that - objectively speaking - those properties have produced a higher quality of storytelling than the turtles - but they just don't get to me in the same way.

I imagine this is what it's like to fall in love. I don't think I've ever been in love as I'm quite emotionally empty and find it hard to feel for people in that way. But I would guess that it's just something which you 'feel' and don't really understand on any rational level - it isn't sensible, it's just there. It's a passionate caring for something and it has no rhyme or reason to it. You know that there's better out there in an objective manner - but you just don't care about objectivity in this instance.

Apologies if I've come across as a drooling sycophant in creating this thread. I just thought it might be interesting to debate why the turtles turn our heads and affect us on an emotional and psychological level. Suffice it to say I could go on, but I've offered enough of a platform now. I've set the stage, and now it is yours.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.