The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #23
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
So apparently, this movie has an "audience score" of B, thus "officially" making it the "worst" MCU movie, because audiences being exit-polled give pretty much anything an A and a movie getting anything below B+ is pretty much equal to an F.

Don't even get me started on THAT logic, but whatever, that's how it works and that's where we're at.

As expected/predicted, articles are being written about how and why this is the case. The reason given? Stop me if you've heard this one before: "Racism and Sexism". "People don't want women - especially women of color - to direct these types of movies." That is the official narrative. As "proof", they illustrate how all of the director's other movies were highly-acclaimed by fans and critics. They also point out how "Birds of Prey" bombed, and how THAT movie ALSO had a woman of color as a director, and cites that as the sole reason for its failure (ignoring the fact that it was pretty much a piece of sh*t). Some articles also cite how that Ava woman had her New Gods movie canceled out from under her as more "proof" of the "Fanboys don't want women of color to do super-hero movies" thesis.

Now, good for these people going to such great lengths to read between the lines and in turn explain to all of us what is "really" going on here. But I don't actually think that's the case at all.

As more is being written about it, I definitely am seeing more and more people compare it to something Snyder may have done. I can't speak to that, having not seen this, but I hear them. And I think that in their zeal to make everything about racism and sexism, the people writing these articles are willfully turning a blind eye to what the truth is. Because if you take the time to read what people are really saying about why this movie underwhelmed them, they speak plain: "I go to see MCU movies for a fun romp, and this movie is not that."

It appears that like Snyder's DC films, this movie is too self-serious and "artsy-fartsy" for the more casual mainstream audience. Now, there IS an audience for that type of super-hero movie, obviously, but the people who generally go to see MCU movies LIKE the whole "formula". They don't like to see it deviated from. They don't want navel-gazing, they just want "fun" above all.

I'm not casting any indictments about that, I'm just saying, that it is what it is. If you ask them, they tell you.

It also sounds like this movie has tons of problems on a script level, but again, most people aren't citing that as a reason they didn't like it (neatoman did, I'm just saying in general). Most people are just like, "This doesn't feel like an MCU movie to me."

Why can't that be the narrative, since it's the truth? I mean granted, it sets a horrible precedent going forward if any MCU movie without a certain quota of fart jokes gets a "bad" rating from both audiences and critics. BUT, at least "These people simply prefer cotton candy movies over more self-serious ones" is TRUE, and not some sinister made-up "They just hate women of color and don't want them to succeed in this space" phony-baloney nonsense.

Side Note: Can anyone float me an example of a movie that got an "audience score" of F? I'm just curious; since anything below a B+ is more or less "the same thing" as an F when it comes to that stuff, I'm morbidly curious to know what kind of movie would get an actual F score from audiences.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Tags
gay


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.